Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't see the point of preheating either. I foil the bottom of the smoker and the top of the firebox, put the wood and the meat in then let 'er rip. Coming up to temperature is figured into all my cook times. If you preheat wouldn't you let most of the heat out when you open the cooker up to put product in?
We don't always preheat, but some of the chicken & turkey recipes in the CS "get Smokin" cook book suggest a Preheat first. Also we are used to a large Texas tower smoker that must be started with wood/ charcoal first B4 being able to smoke anything.

WRK
Last edited by Former Member
This brings up an interesting point. Everybody acknowledges that the book is misleading and should be given the old heave-ho. Why doesn't CS come up with a new book that would be useful to new users. Lordy, there's enough good information in Smokin Okie's 101s to publish something that would rival the encyclopedia Brittanica in size. Surely enough good info could be gleaned from there plus this forum to write a comprehensive user's manual. Just my 2 cents worth.
Doing a 6# prime rib as we speak' useing "stuarts" method.Found it useing the search.IT calls for preheating. When I closed the door, the smoker was still showing 178, the steel is going to keep a great amount of the heat, unless you walk away and leave the door open. So it will recover quickly.It is part of that recipe. Don't burn the recipe book, it is only a blueprint to get you started. After 50 yrs. of building your smoker, I don't think they would send you a bum "steer". that's just my 2 cents
quote:
Originally posted by TaktEZ:
This brings up an interesting point. Everybody acknowledges that the book is misleading and should be given the old heave-ho. Why doesn't CS come up with a new book that would be useful to new users. Lordy, there's enough good information in Smokin Okie's 101s to publish something that would rival the encyclopedia Brittanica in size. Surely enough good info could be gleaned from there plus this forum to write a comprehensive user's manual. Just my 2 cents worth.

CS doesn't monitor the forums regularly, the BEST option is for owners to CS them and tell them the book just doesn't work, doesn't make sense, etc.

Now, that's the Owners Manual.

The "get smokin'" book is an OLD version and I don't know if/when it would ever be redone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.