Skip to main content

I have both a SM150 and a FEC100 and to be honest I had pretty much just used the SM150 as a holding oven. Partly because it works so well for that, and partly because I was very happy with the results I was getting out of the FEC100.

Truth be told though, I had not been impressed with the results I'd gotten out of the 150...something just wasn't right. Then I cooked Easter dinner for about 20...did a pork loin and a spiral sliced ham. As usual I ignored everyones advice and instructions and loaded...make that filled Eeker the woodbox with hickory. Cooked for about 3 hrs. at 225. I would not have thought you could put that much smoke on a piece of meat. It got eaten, but I was not proud to say that I had cooked it.

Somewhat humbled by the results of my pig-headedness I decided to listen to the good folks here, not to mention the manufacturer's instructions. Last Friday night I loaded the 150 with a couple of butts and placed one 3 oz. chunk of hickory in the woodbox. Fired it up and went to bed. Twelve hours later I pulled the butts at 185, wrapped and held at 140 for a couple of hours. I am not going to say that they were the best I ever ate, but they were pretty dang good!....and had plenty of smoke. Matter of fact I will cut back to 2 oz. next time. Lesson learned!

Lots of good advice here if a person has enough sense to take it Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, just glad you finally started getting good product. The way the post started out, it sounded like you weren't have ANY success with the 150.

It's very hard for traditional Q'ers to go with the less is more theory on CS. The heat is there from the electric elements so finding the smoke profile will go pretty easy.

Let us know if you have any 150 questions. There aren't many here, maybe down in the Pro's forum or just drop a call to CS, they always want the customer happy.

Smokin'
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Well, just glad you finally started getting good product. The way the post started out, it sounded like you weren't have ANY success with the 150.

It's very hard for traditional Q'ers to go with the less is more theory on CS. The heat is there from the electric elements so finding the smoke profile will go pretty easy.

Let us know if you have any 150 questions. There aren't many here, maybe down in the Pro's forum or just drop a call to CS, they always want the customer happy.

Smokin'

You are right. I've always been a stickburner and had no trouble adapting to the FEC100...however I believe I will reserve it for ribs and chicken from now on, and use the Cookshack for butts. Looks like it will do a great job if used correctly.
Waywordson,
Welcome to the forum! Don't be scared, it becomes an addiction just like this smoking thing. By the way, I have started a thread known as Smokers Anonymous and I see that a Forums Anonymous thread is in my future. This whole Cookshack smoking thing just sucks you in like a tornado through a trailer park. One minute you've purchased the smoker and the next thing you're strewn about checking the latest threads. Don't worry my friend....it's all good. There's a wealth of information here that has lead me through my virgin travel into the smoking world!
The only change I do on my 150 was to open the door periodically during the cook. I preferred more bark and letting some of the moisture out allowed me to get the texture I wanted.

you don't have to, it's just another option.

Also, if you need more Smoke Ring, add a chunk or two of charcoal (do a search on Smoke Ring and you'll see why)
quote:
The only change I do on my 150 was to open the door periodically during the cook. I preferred more bark and letting some of the moisture out allowed me to get the texture I wanted.

Also, if you need more Smoke Ring, add a chunk or two of charcoal (do a search on Smoke Ring and you'll see why)

I understand what you are saying, but try and keep my urge to open the door under control Smiler I do enough of that as it is! I am aware of the charcoal "trick" and sometimes do that.
quote:
Originally posted by WaywardSon:
quote:

I understand what you are saying, but try and keep my urge to open the door under control Smiler I do enough of that as it is! I am aware of the charcoal "trick" and sometimes do that.

Smokin. I like more bark also. Thanks for the idea. Think I'll give it a try.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.