Skip to main content

Hi Everyone,

I've had a 055 for about two years now, and couldn't be happier. I've done the most common parts of a pig, brisket, salmon, turkey, chicken, jerky, lots of jalapenos and have never had a bad meal. My last cookshack order was for a case of their mild bbq sauce, and it's almost gone.

Over the smokes, I must admit that my attention to cleaning has decreased. I always clean the grates between smokes, but have stopped using the foil at the bottom of the smoker. I typically just scrape it down while it it warm, and use some paper towels. After about a year and 40+ smokes, I can't see any adverse results. Is there a reason for me to go back to foil? What is everyone else doing to clean their home smokers?

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nope, not required. If after using it, you find you don't need it, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's really best after you do a bunch of briskets or butts. They tend to drip a lot of fat and that can collect if you do a bunch.

Smokin'

p.s.

2 posts in two years. Big D, you gotta post more.... Big Grin
I put foil over the part that holds the heating element and the wood. I also put foil on the bottom but crud seems to go down the sides and get underneath the foil. And I have to admit I forgot to poke a hole in the foil to let it drip out once. If foiling the bottom is not necessary I think it would be just as easy to scrape out the crud with a credit card.
I use foil on the wood box and on the bottom of the smoker. Sure makes clean up easier.

I don't do much fish but a few weeks ago I did a 29 inch steelhead (big trout). Had to cut it in half to fit in the 009. It came out very good using the spicy chicken rub. I cleaned the smoker as usual and left the door open. A week later it still had a strong fish smell. I finally put a chunk of wood in it and let it smoke for about 4 hours. Smell gone!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.