Skip to main content

I'm embarrassed to even post this question, but I'm in a bit of a pickle. Thanksgiving is in the crosshairs and yesterday I realized that I'm out of hickory chunks. I will look for local sources tomorrow, but baring success with that, I may need to improvise with wood chips (if it is even worth it). I did try to have some chunks overnighted from CS but when I saw that the shipping charges would be about $150 for 20 lbs of wood, well....

So, I've searched the forum and read that chips are actually good for cold smokes and short smokes. But, folks - I'm responsible for a 10 lb turkey breast!!! From what I've read here, if I HAVE to use chips I need to wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil with a small hole or 2 punched in it. Should I adjust (increase) the weight of the wood to compensate for the faster burn of the chips? Or will that just make for a more bitter taste to the outside? I'm thinking I'll just have to offer my apologies to the family for a less-than-ideal amount of smokiness to an otherwise moist & tasty bird.

BTW - using a model 55.

Any suggestions? Warnings? Condolences?

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks, folks. Did not know the big boxes had chunks. Good info.

Wheelz, another embarrassing confession (in addition to running out of hickory)is the fact that I'm nature-impaired. I can't identify one tree from another, especially now that the leaves have fallen.

My sister's boyfriend bought a CS smoker a couple of years ago after seeing mine. I dawned on me that he probably has some chunk wood on hand. As he will coming down from Chicago for Thanksgiving, I called him tonight and asked him to bring a couple of chunks of apple wood. I'll go by one of the big box stores tomorrow to see what I can find.

Again, thanks for the help.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.