Skip to main content

For someone fairly new to smoking I have to say how glad I am that I happened upon this site!!! Smiler

My 1st question is this...after doing something in the smoker what do you guys all do as far as cleanup of the unit - walls and such?

2nd...do we have somewhere here on the site a good list of what woods you use for different foods? Prime Rib - ??, Ribs - ??, brisket - ??, etc.

3rd....to be honest, I was totally unfamiliar with the Cookshack smoker before seeing this site. Is a person looked down upon if he has a different brand smoker?

4th....I've used these in my gas grill in small packets to get that smoke taste and they've done good. Can these be used in the wood box in my electric smoker as well instead of wood chips? I've got a few bags left of different pellets. http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/

Thanks in advance for any and all answers. Like I said...I'm glad I've found this site. Smiler
Don
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by mnbbqsmoker:
For someone fairly new to smoking I have to say how glad I am that I happened upon this site!!! Smiler

My 1st question is this...after doing something in the smoker what do you guys all do as far as cleanup of the unit - walls and such?

Occasional cleanup of big debris on walls, new foil on wood box and floor, and most people clean the racks by soaking after each cook.

2nd...do we have somewhere here on the site a good list of what woods you use for different foods? Prime Rib - ??, Ribs - ??, brisket - ??, etc.

Is usually a matter of individual choice and availability. Here in NC, most use oak, apple, and hickory, out west alder may be choice, and southwest may see mesquite. Pecan gets heavy use as well all over the place.

3rd....to be honest, I was totally unfamiliar with the Cookshack smoker before seeing this site. Is a person looked down upon if he has a different brand smoker?

YES. Absolutely, and for good reason! Big Grin

4th....I've used these in my gas grill in small packets to get that smoke taste and they've done good. Can these be used in the wood box in my electric smoker as well instead of wood chips? I've got a few bags left of different pellets. http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/

They'll likely burn faster than the chunks, but use what you have. Might be good for fish or other low temp, short duration smokes.

Thanks in advance for any and all answers. Like I said...I'm glad I've found this site. Smiler
Don
quote:
Originally posted by mnbbqsmoker:

Todd was actually joking (you have to know Todd) and since he can't speak for the forum and I can, the answer is ABSOLUTELY not.

While it's primarily about CS smokers, there are plenty of users, if not all, who have other smokers or grills or other devices to use so we'll help where we can.

Now my answers to the rest:

#1. there are two threads that are a must read. #1. Read the "new owner, start here thread" at the top of the Open forum and the "lessons for new users" at the top of the Open forum. For cleaning there are some pointers in there. Also, learn to use the Find function, it has a lot of helpful uses and since we've been open for almost 10 years, there's a LOT of good info out there, the key is finding it.

#2. Check the wood forum for wood topics, however, wood is very much a subjective taste and really depends on 1, what you have available 2, what flavors you like and 3, what smoker you're using

#4. Pellets are not the best option for the CS unless you're cold smoking. Use wood chunks. You can use them, but you're not using it as designed so any recommendation from people have on wood amount (a big thing to know in a CS) won't be helpful to you. Key in whatever you use is the amount of smoke.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.