Skip to main content

We lost power last night, well this morning when I let the dogs out I see a red reflection on the garage glass. My 025 is cooking air at 205 degrees. What?? I turn it off and unplug it, later after work I plug it in and sure enough it come on. So I guess I'll have to remember to unplug it after I use it but it seams strange they would set it up like that. Just a FYI unless you don't mind cooking air.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's set up like that in case you have a power failure while you're smoking something. It turns back on automatically when the power comes back on. That way, you won't lose a good piece of meat, poultry or fish with a short power outage like you would without that feature.

It won't hurt anything, afterall, we leave it on overnight while we're sleeping as we do a long smoke. I always unplug it when not in use for that reason. Not a safety concern, but why have it go on when there's no need.
The 060 Amerique has a big fat on/off switch; so no way it will 'come on' by itself during power glitches. In the initial "ON" position the system is in a standby mode until the secondary on/off button is set. This allows setting of temp, time and probe temp in a standby mode before taking system out of standby. By testing, I have determined that if the 066 is in full cook mode and the power is lost, it will only reset to the standby mode when power comes back. It would be nice if the electronics were smart enough to 'see' that the power is 'full ON' and retain that setting. But personally I would consider it a fire hazzard if the system automatically comes on during a power glitch. If this is the case it is certainly best to unplug the unit when not is use OR make certain it is not is a place where there are any potential fire hazzards should the unit inadvertently come on.

db
It really isn't a fire hazard. We smoke overnight all the time and leave the smoker unattended. I don't think we should ever lay paper over the smoke hole, but other than that it is pretty safe especially with the 850* insulation. The smoker as designed serves to protect your meals during a power glitch, especially important to those cooking for the masses or competition.
Where there is smoke there is fire. PERSONALLY, any appliance that generates heat with an element similar to that of a CS 'could' be a fire hazzard. That just means 'take appropriate precautions'. Agreed it should be a remote chance but still very real. Consider this scenario: After smoking a few fatty PB; you're in a hurry and pull the pork, push the door closed, but it is not latched and sealed. There is still most likely lots of fat just looking for the opportunity to flame. Would you want your unit to automatically come on in the middle of the night with this condition? With the door slightly adjar and the element at full heat it is a potential fire hazzard. Just sayin'.

db
Well, I think you're stretching it a LOT to think of this as a fire hazard, I mean, what's going to catch fire? Some paper going to blow in and blow through the smoke holes and catch fire? Won't be much of a fire, since the stainless isn't combustable.

I'm just sayin Wink

Sure, anything electrical COULD cause a problem if YOU don't follow the directions.

If you never leave it unlatched, nothing will happen.

As was stated, by design it comes back on, especially given "brown outs" when the power drops for a few seconds and comes back.

We'd be hearing the reverese if it didn't come back on and ruined your meat.

Whole lot easier cooking a little air, than having to throw away some meat.

When will it be springtime so we can get back to smokin'....

Big Grin
Consider this option. You throw two pork butts into the smoker the night before the big barbecue when your friends are coming over to eat, drink, and party. You go to bed with smoke billowing from your Cookshack as many of us have so often done.

During the evening your neighbor doesn't close his garbage can lid (a rarity itself), and a piece of paper blows from his garbage and, of all things, lands right on top of your smoker's exhaust hole. The wind suddenly dies allowing the paper to sit over the smoker's exhaust hole for a long period, and the paper eventually ignites. Just at that moment the wind strangely picks up again but ironically reverses direction causing the lit paper to blow back into your neighbor's yard. A rare updraft causes the lit paper to rise up and land right on top of his 20 year old cedar shake roof, ignites the shake roof and burns his house down. Fortunately, he and his family escape safely but unfortunately his pet Gerbil dies in the fire. It's a small "chance", but it can happen.

The only sensible thing to do is not to use your smoker overnight with no one attending it. Alternately, you could set up revolving 2 hour "smoker watches" with family members much like the cowboys did guarding the wagon trains from Indians. But instead of using rifles your sentinels can sit watch with garden hoses at the ready.
Are you guys saying that even if an 025 is off, a power outtage will cause it to turn on?

If it can remember it's previously set temp, a simple software revision could allow it to remember it's power state (on/off). It would only turn back on if it was on before the power failure.

I leave my 008 plugged in all the time with a cover. I just ran a new circuit for my smoker and the outlet is hidden in my landscaping. Kind of a pain to unplug. Maybe I'll change the box to one with an external switch when I get my 025.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.