Skip to main content

Got my first Cookshack smoker (025) last week. I had previously used an ECB (what a pain!). Anyway, I followed the instructions for seasoning it and smoked a 6.5# PB on the weekend.

Used my own rub -- nuthin' fancy and put it on Friday night about 8pm @ 200*. I used 6 oz Hickory. The butt was very cold; my temp probe said 37*.

Saturday morning the internal was c. 150*, I upped the temp to 225. Then about 2:30pm (it had plateau'd between 165 and 170) I upped it again to 250.

At 4pm it was 195 on one probe and 197 on the built in probe. When I opened the door to check it -- WOW, what a beaut!

I immediately FTC'd it and let it sit for an hour -- don't know how I waited.

It was AWESOME! The bone came out clean -- it was tender, juicy, and wonderfully smoky. (I like a good amount of smoke -- hence the 6 oz of hickory.)

Thanks to all the good tips in this forum, my first smoke was perfect!

What a joy to use something that just works.

A new Cookshack convert,
The Prophet
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Twenty hours cooking on a 6.5 pd. bone-in pork butt, are you kidding me? I don't own an electric smoke box, but that seems way too long to get to 195. I fast cooked 15 pds. of butt in a BW Chubby at 350 in 4 1/2 hours last week and I usually jerk mine around 205. Got rave reviews from the poker gang!
OD
quote:
Originally posted by A DRUMMER:
Twenty hours cooking on a 6.5 pd. bone-in pork butt, are you kidding me? I don't own an electric smoke box, but that seems way too long to get to 195.

I started it at 200 because I wanted to ease it's temp up to take on more smoke flavor.

I wasn't following the clock, just the temp probe! Wink

My original plan was to have it for lunch, but supper was super!
I haven’t done a 3 hr/lb butt, but I’ve had a couple go 2 hr 15 min/lb

I start and finish at 225⁰ and have been very happy with the results for smoke, tenderness, moisture, and flavor.

I’ve had my share of PBs cooked at 350⁰ for 4 to 5 hours and I now say no thank you

But hey, to each his own whatever floats your boat.

If it’s good enjoy it
Glad you like your new smoker

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.