Skip to main content

This is a recipe modified from Ted Allen from the Food Channel. I think the show was “Best Thing I’ve Ever Made”
5 pounds or so whole duck. Mine was frozen and thawed.
Salt and Pepper.
Trim off the tail and neck fat and make sure your duck is empty inside. Mine came with gizzard, liver, neck and packet of orange sauce. I put the fat in a skillet and rendered the fat and saved it. I think it is liquid gold. Saved the liver as well but I’m not sure what I’ll do with it.
Pat dry. Salt and pepper inside and out
Using a paring knife stab the duck dozens of a times. Not like Psyco but just through the skin on all sides. Stabs, not incisions
Place the duck on a roasting pan or a rack with a pan underneath breast side up.(you will be very sorry if you don’t put a pan underneath to catch the fat.) Put into your smoker. (mine is a 025 model) and set the temp for 300. I had a little hickory in the box from and earlier smoke but did not add anymore wood. Probably an ounce or so left over. Every hour remove the duck and empty the fat if you need to. Then stab again on all sides and turn the duck over breast side down. Repeat this for 5 times. Mine was in the smokier a total of 6 hours. Close the door to keep as much heat in as possible when stabbing and rotating the duck. Preheat oven to 425. Place the duck in the oven for about 5 minutes so so to crisp the skin. Rest a while then carve her up. I removed the backbone with scissors first. The legs and wings just about fall off. Real Good!! There was a cherry sauce recipe, but I made my own sauce with cherry preserves, balsamic vinegar, S/P and a little cayenne pepper.
I thought being cooked that long might dry it out but it was tender, juicy and delicious. Give it try sometime.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Smoked_Duck1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just tried this recipe for our Thanksgiving dinner. I've cooked duck numerous times, using various methods.

Because of how simple it seemed, and the "leathering" effect that happens to chickens I was skeptical about what my sm025 would produce with this recipe.

This was the best duck I've ever made.

Almost all the fat is rendered off, and the meat stays extraordinarily juicy for duck.

The whole cook was with the duck on one of those oven roasting pans that comes with a household oven, with the strainer insert. Don't be obsessed about how deep your "stabbing" goes. I did it lightly but still penetrated to meat a number of times, with no negative effect. I opened the door, pulled out the rack slightly, stabbed the visible parts of the bird, turned over, and stabbed again. The slits seal up which is why you have to repeat the stabbing each hour to keep the fat flowing.

I needed 10 minutes at 500 degrees to crisp the skin.

As far as I'm concerned this is *the* recipe for duck in a Cookshack.

(In my 7 months on this site, I've only been a reader. This recipe motivated me to actually post something.)
I tried this recipe for New Year's Eve dinner, since it looked so simple and I love duck. I had a MapleLeaf Farms whole duck, thawed, about 4 1/2 lbs trimmed of some fat (not much trimming needed). I followed RangerDF's instructions, using 2 oz of cherry (three very small chunks) in my Amerique. I placed a foil pan on the rack below the duck to catch the drippings. I turned the duck over and pricked the skin every hour as RangerDF specified, and used 300 degrees. The weather was quite cold, so I lost some heat each time I opened the door, down to 230 or so, but it rebounded within 10 minutes. I crisped the skin in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes after a 15 minute rest out of the smoker.

Unfortunately, the duck was quite dry, even though there was still fat being rendered at the end of the six hours. Plus, the skin was almost too smokey to eat, although the meat was very tasty. All in all, disappointing. I think too long a time at too high a temp were the culprits. It is obvious that the meat was "done" in terms of temp long before most of the fat was rendered out. I will definitely do this again, but will pick a day when it is a little warmer and easier to keep tabs on things.
He was using it specifically at the old Delmonico's,which his group bought and restored.It got hit hard during Katrina,with water about 18 ft. up the walls,but is once again restored.It is right where the streetcar
tracks go right and straight,around the Circle and go out into the Garden District.

Smokin' would be the most likely one to fix the link,as usual.
I'm thinking when I was there they were using hickory in the kitchen.
As suggested above,Google might be able to give it, where they would have taken it off our earlier server.
I was finally able to find my hard copy of the recipe/technique.Smokin' can move it to recipe forum,if he wishes.

Delmonico's Hickory Roasted Duck-CS 160 is their restaurant smoker.

Brine[enough for two ducks]-Bring to a boil in heavy pot

2.5 C kosher salt
1 lb light brn sugar
3 qt. water
2 med. oranges,cut in half
2 bay leaves
1/4 C. black peppercorns
1/4 C. whole cloves

Remove from heat and add 12 C. ice cubes.
When brine is cool,add the 4 to 5 lb duck and weight with 2 small plates to submerge it.Refrigerate for 24 hrs,turning occasionally.

Line a large baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top.
Refrigerated,uncovered, 24 hrs.

Remove ducks from refrigerator and allow them to come to room temp.

Preheat the CS 160 to 260 degrees.

Smoke ducks until tender and an insta-read thermometer reads 165 degrees-about 6 hrs.They will have a deep mahogany brown color.

Remove from smoker and let rest for 15 mins.

With poultry shears,cut ducks on either side of backbone and remove it.With a sharp knife,cut thru the breastplate and remove the ribcage.

They use a half duck for a serving, drizzled with two TBSP dried cherry cane syrup reduction.

This is a standard at the Emeril's in the Warehouse District in New Orleans.Usually at his Nola Restaurant,also.

It will be an occasional special at his other places around the country and is the premier half duck on the menu.

Enjoy.
I'd swear Tom is a brother from another mother. Shoot we only met once when the East Coast Clan of the Cookshack brotherhood (they're the black sheep of the clan) they came to OK for one of the first FE Comp Classes.

I've only met Tom once but he's been in this forum almost as long as me (2001).

And who are you guys calling old? Shoot I'm not 60 until August.
Been some good times,some evolving,and hopefully a bunch more to come. Cool

The great thing is the "old guys" try to keep learning from all the new guys that share.

Used to be,everyone learned in their back yard-by themselves.

Now the forums,and other cooks sharing,really cuts the learning curve. Smiler

Even tho I started out from Muskogee to Lawton,OK,we're still trying to get Smokin' to bring his talents and credibility to the "Sunshine State".

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.