Skip to main content

Hey all -
On my CB 36" Charbroiler at the restaurant, I finish my ribs with a glaze, which is heavy on the brown suger. Great taste, great finish, but leaves a mess behing on the charbroiler which doesn't "burn off". I painfully clean it daily, and wanted to ask how some of you are cleaning yours ? I just scrape and scrape, but open to other ideas ! I'm contemplating having a machinist friend of mine fabricate me a stainless tool cut to an angle matching the angle of the grate openings for a 'custom scraper'. Any thoughts ?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure what size the CB grates are, but here's an old oven cleaner trick. Spray the grates heavily with oven cleaner (the more caustic the better) and place them in a plastic garbage bag of some sort. Put them where they will be exposed to heat (in the sun is best) for several hours or even overnight. Then spray them off with hot water if possible. The remaining crud will be relatively easy to remove by scraping or scouring with a scotch-brite pad (wear rubber gloves). Anyway, works for my really cruddy grill grates.
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Not sure what size the CB grates are, but here's an old oven cleaner trick. Spray the grates heavily with oven cleaner (the more caustic the better) and place them in a plastic garbage bag of some sort. Put them where they will be exposed to heat (in the sun is best) for several hours or even overnight. Then spray them off with hot water if possible. The remaining crud will be relatively easy to remove by scraping or scouring with a scotch-brite pad (wear rubber gloves). Anyway, works for my really cruddy grill grates.

Not a good idea on porous CB grates. This will kill the seasoning, and absorb some of the toxic spray. Because of past experience, I also don't use wire brushes (can leave a piece of bristle behind). I still use my scrapers and has been working OK

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.