Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

seasond1: I just mixed up 2 different breakfast sausage blends that are both good for me, and are close to what I have been looking for going on 40 years. These seasoning blends are both store bought. You need to tell us what flavor profile you think tastes good. The ones I mixed are sage and red pepper. 1 was a little salty up front. and the sage and pepper came in at the end. The other was sweet, and had the sage and pepper up front.
Seasoned1, The Hatch varieties grown in the Hatch Valley of Southern NM are generally medium to hot. Parkers and Big Jims have equally great green chile flavor, but are much milder (Big Jim is slightly hotter than Parker in my experience), and they are both much thicker-fleshed than the Hatch, so they roast up and peel beautifully - my favorites for stuffing for chiles rellenos. So if you are after significant "zing" I'd stick with the Hatch. There are also some other hotter varieties like Sandias if you can find them.

A good source for info, and seeds if you want to grow your own, is the New Mexico State Univ. Chile Pepper Institute http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

Hope this helps.
Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't seen that web site before. From 38 years living in NM, I (and everyone I know) have always associated Hatch chiles with the hotter varieties, usually Sandias. While it is true that to be called Hatch chiles (legitimately) they must be grown in the Hatch Valley, it is also true that many varieties of chile, including Big Jim, Sandia, Joe Parker, NM 6-4, Barker Hot, Espanola Improved, etc, are grown all over NM, even in the higher elevations of the northern part of the state. So it seems some farmers in Hatch have chosen to grow milder varieties, which I think is a fairly recent development. It is all good, since the Hatch area has probably the best chile growing conditions in the US. Again, sorry, I am just not used to associating milder varieties with Hatch. Hope this clarifies.
I just did 2 different batches of breakfast sausage using a store bought seasoning blend. 1 was the AC Legg blend #10. The other is a custom blend made for the company I bought the seasoning blend from. It is also made by AC Legg, and is called Southern Bell. They both had the sage, and red pepper flakes. The Southern Bell has a sweet component, and more sage, pepper, and some other spices. It was very good.
I have made the first two recipes. My wife and I had the hot this morning. My wife said to make more of it soon, it was delicious. Suggest letting it rest overnight for flavors to blend. I gave it a shot of smoke with a handheld smoker, but 5 or 10 minutes of secondhand smoke from my AQ produces the same result. Apple works good.

T

JIMMY DEAN SAUSAGE COPYCAT
SAGE, HOT AND MAPLE FLAVORS

SAGE:
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon msg (such as Accent)

HOT:
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon msg (such as Accent)

MAPLE:
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon msg (such as Accent)
1/4 teaspoon coriander

Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a mixing bowl.

Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over
medium heat until browned and done.
Had to go to the city today, so looked on a package. Just our luck it just mentioned in the ingredients, spices. Not much help there. Mad

At my age I don't worry about MSG. Roll Eyes If there is something that helps food taste better, I'll eat it. Oh by the way, the reason I went to the city was to get blood drawn before my physical in a few days. I may be changing my mind about MSG soon. Wink

T
Tom, thanks for the info. I will have to try it and see if I notice the sage more than in the Jimmy Dean Regular. I saw that their web site lists Regular and Sage separately, but as you noted, no detailed ingredient list is given. I have used the sage version but only in holiday stuffing, and I'm not really a fan of the flavor. Off to find some ground pork. Thanks again.
For home use, I love to just process my pigs into ground pork and then thaw and add seasonings the evening before breakfast and let chill in the fridge overnight.

Those of us who like sage sausage should understand that It does not freeze as well as some spices and can get bitter if frozen longer than a couple of months. On normal sausage, it's hard to notice, but if you ad a lot of sage, it can get bitter.
Mr. T, This morning I finally got to try the "sage" version you posted. I found it to be very good, quite similar to JD "regular" but with a slightly stronger sage flavor. Also the red pepper seemed a little stronger than JD, I'll probably leave it out next time. I did leave out the msg. The only ground pork I could get easily locally was Hatfield 85/15, which was good but a little dry. No fat rendered in the pan. I'll be looking for some store-ground pork when I get a chance. If I have to grind my own to get a higher fat content, the convenience factor goes way down.

All in all, a very nice and convenient (and cheaper) alternative to store-bought sausage. Thanks!
Jay, Seasoned a pound of sausage using the sage recipe without the sage and half the red pepper flakes. It definitely needed sage. Added half the amount of sage and it turned out more like the original. Suggest you give it a try. Tested it both as a breakfast patty and sausage burger, both good although the hot recipe is still our favorite.

Tom
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
Originally posted by 3shot:
i add maple sugar granules to mine, this brand i use.

Coombs Family Farms Organic Maple Sugar, its on amazon.

What measurement of it do you use?

id guess between 1 or 2 tablespoons per 5 lbs. i usually just shake it in. the container you buy goes a long way. it gives a good light maple flavor.

its about twice as sweet as white sugar if you were to sub it. It just dehydrated maple syrup.

Its a good product.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.