Skip to main content

Hi there

Am about to pull the trigger on a new FEC120. Being shipped down-under. Want to purchase supply (full pallet) of Cookshack pellets at the same time, as shipping cost is alleviated by shipping with the smoker. Will be using the 120 for the main overnight cook of briskets and butts.

What are your thoughts on this? Specifically, the quality of Cookshack pellets (I assume they are rebranded - what are they originally?) - do many people use them in a restaurant setup?

TIA
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

CS pellets are good. They are a blend of OAK and flavor wood. I use Hickory & Fruitwood (unknown mix of cherry & apple). The oak is good for BTUs and keeping the fire going. You do get a milder smoke flavor compared to 100% flavor wood but in my opinion, it's not worth the $$ unless you're competing. I'd buy as much as you can if shipping is cheap then look around for options to compare to your baseline. Be careful as there are some "bargains" that will give you suboptimal flavor or not burn properly.
My guess is CS pellets are private label BBQ'ers Delight pellets. If not, they're close. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by longwayfromhome:
do many people use them in a restaurant setup?

Not sure if they've changed, but Real Urban BBQ in the Chicago area uses/used Cookshack pellets. They now have three restaurants, the original has (2) FEC300's and I believe the other two have FEC750's.

And they have good que. I LOVE their burnt ends.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
CS pellets are good. They are a blend of OAK and flavor wood........ My guess is CS pellets are private label BBQ'ers Delight pellets. If not, they're close. Wink

I don't believe they are private label BBQr's Delight, but they are good pellets.

I use the CS Hickory pellets when cooking at home and have had no issues with them.
Thanks everyone - some very useful information here. I will be placing an order for a pallet-load with the FEC120 when the order goes in.

Now the only decision is what balance of varieties to get. As it will be commercial cooking and consistency is king, I'd want to avoid hand-mixing varieties, so that probably leaves the following:
1. OAK - 100%
2. HICKORY - 100%
3. FRUITWOOD - 100%.

I would be tending towards OAK I believe. Pity they don't have PECAN or a standard blend like 60% OAK and 40% FRUITWOODS.

We do prefer lighter smoke down this way and I guess that is why it is OAK over HICKORY.

Thanks everyone.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
... Try the hickory, you'll be happy with them.

Ah-ha, good information, their website is slightly at variance so very helpful.

Using hickory purely a step I hadn't thought of. As the smoke is so mild, now thinking that the slightly stronger Hickory might be a better approach. The issue being of course, I can't experiment before committing one way or the other. Anyway, great info.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.