Skip to main content

Hi there

Just about to place my order for an FEC120 for a B&M setup. I will be leaving the smoker unattended (with remote monitoring of temp via an internet connection) in a kitchen that is part of a bar that will be "attended" for 6-7 hours after I leave. In theory there is no issue with this because no one is "supposed" to be in the kitchen, but I have to be sure. I am looking for a way to secure the door on the 120.

My thought is to put a lockable slam latch on the main smoker door. A slam latch is like the handle/latch that is on the access door for the combustion chamber. These can be of a lockable type. Has anyone done this, or do you know if CS do this mod?

I am aware I also have to be concerned with people fiddling with the controller ("I wonder what this button does?"), the non-locking hopper, and the electricity switch itself. That is another story.

Any thoughts, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
What might be easier and probably less expensive... Security camera(s). Tell the employees, DON'T TOUCH and tell them there will be consequences, if you have a problem the following morning, check the cameras. Identify what happened and take appropriate action.

Fair enough, but at the moment I am focussed on a patron who may wander in unnoticed and decide to take a peek.
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
I've never owned a pellet burner but in this case I would be worried if a fire occurred inside the smoker and no one could get in to douse it. Just my $.02

I intend to have online access to my smoker temp when I am out of the office! Via internet connection with a probe running under the door seal. I live close by.
quote:
Originally posted by longwayfromhome:

I intend to have online access to my smoker temp when I am out of the office! Via internet connection with a probe running under the door seal. I live close by.

You could also have a motion activated camera that alerts your smartphone. We have a RING device that works great & you can talk through it as well. For $30 a year all video feed is stored.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.