Skip to main content

Hello Everyone,

St. Luis Spare Ribs from Costo.
9.44 Lbs Cryo Pack 3 slabs.
Temp 250 Deg. Total time 3 hours.
2.5 Oz of Hickory.
Cookshack Rub half Spicy chicken, half Rib Rub.
At 2.5 hours brushed with Cookshack BBQ sauce made from mix, it is the Best!
Pulled out of smoker at 3 hours.
So yummy!
Thank you Cookshack : )

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 20180203_124107
  • 20180203_130021
  • 20180203_155642
  • 20180203_160033
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Bembring: They look fantastic, but I'm wondering about their tenderness. Were they fall off the bone? Bite off the bone? Or tougher than that? I'm asking since when I do ribs in my AQ at 225, they generally take around 5 hours to get really tender and juicy. Maybe the extra 25 degrees accounts for it. Just wondering

Hello Jay,

Yes they were tender and juicy. Bite and light pull off the bone.
Sorry got to hungry to post photos of them cut.
But from the photo you can see pull back with the bones showing and they cracked when I picked up with tongs.
I set at 250 but at times it showed 257.
I used the second from bottom rack postion so closer to the heat.
If I set my SM150 at 225 it takes about 4 plus hours. and they are not as tender.
I think my SM150 pulls 1500 Watts. It is an older model not IQ 4

Thank you,
Brian

Yes, upping the temp will speed things along.

Long story short, I use to cook at 250 deg., everything took toooooo long!

I read another site and learned to increase the temp by 100 deg and things take way less time and I can't tell the difference.  Example:  pork butt at 250 takes from 10 to 18 hours, at 300 to 325 it cuts it back to 6 to 8 hours.  I honestly can't tell the difference.

I enjoy smoking a whole lot more now than I did when I started.

Just my two cents and opinion...….

paulb 2

Paulb 2 - I can respect your opinion and your enjoyment of your results. I'll just have to disagree though. I've tried higher (than 225 - 250) for pork butt in particular, and it was certainly done sooner, but the result was drier (on the outside), stringier, less juicy, and had less smoke flavor than the lower-cooked ones, at least to my taste. I think that the longer the meat takes under smoke to reach 140 degrees, when it stops accepting smoke, the better. However, BBQ is all about taste and texture that pleases the cook (and his/her loved ones). Cook on, and report back your successes (and failures - we all need to learn).

Last edited by jay1924

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.