Skip to main content

I have a heavy duty LEM Vacuum sealer.  Works great and on long sessions never gets warm  But for just a few pieces of meat, say prime NY Strip from the Costco, I skip vac sealing all together.  I use Stretch-Tite.  I will pull 2 steaks for dinner and individually double wrap the remaining with plastic wrap.  The first wrapping is very tight.  The second in 90 degrees from the first so as to overlap the seams. Then zip lock and freeze.  I first heard of Stretch Tite a few years ago on a PBS cooking show which rated it best. So I started using it.  The I found it at Costco, twin 750 foot rolls with slide cutters for under $12.  1500 feet for under $12!  Well, I still use my vac sealer for large cuts if not sold vac sealed but for just a few items, I go for the Stretch Tite.  So far I have not experienced any freezer burn and this after the meat has been in the freezer for a couple of months. Just thought I would pass it on.  Stretch Tite also sells a thicker freezer wrap but not at Costco.
https://www.costco.com/Kirklan...oduct.100116718.html

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

oldsarge, this looks interesting. Anything that prevents air from getting to meat should work. I believe a few months would be good with such wrapping, but I wonder about a year or so which I rely on my Foodsaver for with smoked salmon. I will pick some up and try it for short-term because the Foodsaver material is so expensive. Thanks!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.