Skip to main content

This is not an attempt to reduce cost.  I exported my CS to Costa Rica for my restaurant.  I did my best effort to research import regulations for wood, and found no restrictions.  But my load of 600 lbs of wood was impounded by customs under the guise that the wood needed to be "heat treated".  My choices were to spend 6 months appealing the ruling or make a hefty donation to his kids "educational fund".   Guess what I did?  Time for 2nd load.  I am told that "wood pellets" are not subject to requirement for "heat treating" with stamped government certification.  Yes, if I would have known, I would have purchased an FC.  Any way to use pellets in SM without ruining meat or require any burner mods?

Thanks for suggestions.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Papa I have found that there is no real conversion from chunks to pellets. I recommend starting with one cup of pellets on a test cook to see how you like the flavor profile then adjust from there. There is no difference in the loading and dispersal. We recommend always loading in an upside down pyramid with less items on the lower shelves to allow even smoke and heat rise. Some of our units have a woodbox with hols in the bottom and on  those you van place foil in the bottom so the pellets do not fall through. Let us know how things go.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.