Skip to main content

I need help with my chicken. No matter what cut of chicken I use I can never get the skin crispy when I smoke it. When I groll it turns out perfect, but I need advice. My skin is always rubbery https://6newslawrence.com/rubbery-chicken/ and I have tried rubbing oil, cooking spray, etc on it before the smoke but nothing. Any suggestions?

My other question is on the legs, the exposed meat always get hard and over smoked. Has a thick smoke taste that isn't pleasant. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by Gasergaw
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You can find lots of threads about rubbery chicken skin here (use search). The consensus seems to be that crispy skin requires finishing on the grill or in the oven, or smoking at a higher temperature, like 350 or higher. With my SM066, I'm limited to 300, which doesn't quite do it. With wings, I've gone to grilling and applying smoke at the same time with a tube pellet smoker on the grill. Haven't tried that with other chicken parts. Good luck - if you find the magic technique, please let us know!

To get crispy chicken skin when smoking, try the following:

1. Make sure the skin is dry before smoking. Pat the chicken down with paper towels to remove excess moisture.

2. Rub the chicken skin with a small amount of oil or melted butter before smoking. This will help the skin crisp up and brown during cooking.

3. Smoke the chicken at a higher temperature (around 400-450 degrees Fahrenheit) for the first 30-45 minutes, then reduce the temperature to your desired cooking temperature for the remainder of the cooking time.

4. Consider using a cooking spray specifically designed for high heat grilling, such as PAM Grilling.

5. Experiment with different wood types to find the one that gives you the best results. Some options to try include hickory, oak, or pecan.

6. Try making a crispy almond chicken recipe by coating the chicken in a mixture of ground almonds and breadcrumbs before smoking. This will add a crunchy, nutty flavor to the skin.

Last edited by Zeke

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.