Skip to main content

I enjoy the smoker more each time I use it -- I have had it for about 2 months. Always take good notes and experiment. Love the quality of the product. I use it about three times a week to either re-heat or smoke.

Third set of Ribs were cooked just the way I like them. 3 Lb. Loinbacks took six hours total at 225. Opened the door once to add beans and a second time to foil in the last hour. A little pecan(1 oz.) and apple(1 oz.) was all I needed. I put them on the hooks the first two times and the grates the third. Cut the racks in half and arranged the largest on the middle grate and smallest on the higher grates.

Two briskets (8 lb and 14 lb) turned out very good. Long cooks at 225 with about 2 oz oak and 2 oz Pecan. Next time I need to remove the point after the flat reaches the right temp and continue cooking. Wish the cooker was a bit wider and deeper. Pretty much had to fold the 14lb brisket in half, which decreased surface exposure.

Thanks to SmokinOkie for turning me on to pecan. It is wonderful for the brisket.

I love cooking hot dogs in the smoker. A little wood for around an hour at 225 and they are very tasty.

Have done a couple of turkey and chicken sausage cooks. They were very good, but may be a little too lean or I cooked them too long.

Two pork butts at the same time. 4oz of hickory at 225 for a loonnnggg time. Think I may have overcooked them a bit. First time I ever cooked a butt and didn't like my choice of rub. So some work there. Lots of leftovers from that cook.

So, after I got the 055, I got a dual probe gauge and a heavy gauge extension cord. Figured out I needed to calibrate the temp probe after the butt(only seems to be off by 10 degrees).

Have some experience smoking, but mostly grilling. Everything cooked according to time. I feel like I am in some sort of therapy cooking to temp; not knowing when its going to be done. Getting used to wrapping and storing until dinner or just having it for tasty lunch.

The leftovers are awesome. Store them in single serving portion ziplocks in the freezer. Figured out I do not have to finish all of one smoke before I do the next smoke. Today I threw in a single portion defrosted brisket and ribs for an hour at 225. No place in town I could go to get better BBQ for lunch. And I save money eating lunch at home to boot.

Now to my questions. I have searched the forum for answers already, but somehow need assurance.

Smoke comes out the top left of the door. It does not seem to decrease with every smoke. Do I loose moisture in the cooker or is there so much already it doesn't matter.

There are wide swings in temperature. Seems to be about 10 percent high and 10 percent low. When it is set to hold temps around 140, the swings seem to be higher.

The top door latch seems to have loosened a bit over time.

The manual suggests that the door be left open a bit when not in use and in storage. Should I leave the door open when not in use?

Please do not say "does the product turn out ok? Then don't worry".

Does using chips rather than chunks contribute to the wide swings early in the smoke? It seems like the first cycle can be higher that 10 percent when I am using chips. And also seems like the smoke does not last as long.

Adding more wood halfway thru the long smoke seems to improve the cook. Not necessarily the smoke flavor, but the flavor of the bark. Is this just my imagination?

I have learned to leave the door open a bit before and after a smoke to air it out. I noticed early on the smell in the chamber would seem a bit stale. Not sure that I noticed a difference in the taste.

Look forward to using it year around and for a long time. It was a bit more expensive than some other products, but I am sure it will pay for itself in long efficient and quality use.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Seems like you have a pretty good handle on things,especially the good notes.

You already answered your own question,about "whether the product turned out well".

Slight smoke leak.

Would you say it was about 1% of the leak of a traditional smoker?

That's answered.

If latch is a little loose,you can probably tighten with your fingers?

Would you say the temp swings are considerably less than your house oven?

Then,your smoker swings less than normal.

Chips just burn up more quickly than chunks,and could even possibly flame.

Yes,chips burn up more quickly,thus produce less smoke,over time.

They can be useful,down at cold smoke temps.

The slight leak of moisture is a benefit,as it saves you having to open the door ,during cooks,to release excess moisture.

I don't leave door open between cooks.

I guess if you go several months between cooks,in warm,humid climate,with a cover over it,you could get a little mold/mildew.

You could always set a pie pan of cat litter on one shelf,if that is the case.

Yes,any time you add more wood,you are laying more smoke on the exterior of the meat.

If you like it,that is fine.

Once again,the cooker seems to be perfect,and you answered you own questions.

Cook,be happy,don't worry. Smiler
Let's see if I can hammer some of those out.

Yes you do lose moisture, but there's PLENTY in there so no worries.

Temps swings are normal due to how the thermostat works. When you have a small amount of product in there the temps will swing more wildly because it's easier for the element to change the temp and the thermostat is playing catch-up.

You should be able to tighten the top latch. I've retightened mine several times during use.

It makes sense to leave the door open, but I don't because I don't trust my cat to stay out of my smoker. Big Grin

The temp fluctuations from chips are probably more from the chips actually igniting and becoming a heat source on their own. I've had it happen with very dry chunks as well. As a plus....I get a bit of a smoke ring when it happens...hehe

As far as adding wood during the smoke goes, I say do what you THINK tastes best. Doesn't matter what anybody else thinks when you are the one eating. However, I think that when you add wood during the smoke you are releasing quite a bit of the moisture in the chamber. THAT can improve bark as well. So it's possible that the combo of more smoke and less moisture have given yu a bark that you're happier with.
quote:
Originally posted by uncsmoker:
Please do not say "does the product turn out ok? Then don't worry".

Ever heard the one, if it's not broke, don't fix it. You already knew we'd tell you that. Your own report tells us you've had nothing but success. NONE of the questions you raise is something I'd worry about, but I'll answer.

Enjoy the success you're having.

quote:
Smoke comes out the top left of the door. It does not seem to decrease with every smoke.

No problem, smoke coming out of a smoker isn't an issue and unless the gap is HUGE and a lot of heat is coming out, huge like an 1", then don't worry.

quote:
Do I loose moisture in the cooker or is there so much already it doesn't matter.

Nope, only time to worry about moisture coming out is when you open the door. Personally I like to open the door and let humidity come out, but it will extend the time.

quote:
There are wide swings in temperature. Seems to be about 10 percent high and 10 percent low. When it is set to hold temps around 140, the swings seem to be higher.

Honestly, for me, I wouldn't worry about 20% variation. It's the Average temp, not a steady team. Trust me, the food doesn't notice. As long as it's consistent, then the average will help figure out your times/temps for smoking.

quote:
The top door latch seems to have loosened a bit over time.

It's a safety latch to keep the door from opening. Unless it's keeping the door open too much (smoke coming out from all sides). Some models have a screw to tighten down, not sure when yours was made, but I wouldn't worry.

quote:
The manual suggests that the door be left open a bit when not in use and in storage. Should I leave the door open when not in use? I have learned to leave the door open a bit before and after a smoke to air it out. I noticed early on the smell in the chamber would seem a bit stale. Not sure that I noticed a difference in the taste.

You answered your own question. Open it up, air it out. But close it after it airs out, or the critters might get inside.

quote:
Does using chips rather than chunks contribute to the wide swings early in the smoke? It seems like the first cycle can be higher that 10 percent when I am using chips. And also seems like the smoke does not last as long.

The wood you use have zero effect on the temp swings. Even chunks don't contribute enough to the heat to affect it. Chips burn faster than pellets burn faster than chunks.

quote:
Adding more wood halfway thru the long smoke seems to improve the cook. Not necessarily the smoke flavor, but the flavor of the bark. Is this just my imagination?

Individual results will vary. If that works for you, keep doing it.

Smokin'

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.