Skip to main content

Cold night in Wyoming and went to cold smoke some cheese. Pluged in and turned on my Amerique that I have had for about a year. It tool longer than usual for the display to come on, when it did I set the teperature and went to start it. But, next to the start stop button it said SERVICE and it would not start.

I am hoping it is because of the outside temperature, below 0. I quess we will see when it warms up unless anyone has any ideas.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by T. Forry:
Cold night in Wyoming and went to cold smoke some cheese. Pluged in and turned on my Amerique that I have had for about a year. It tool longer than usual for the display to come on, when it did I set the teperature and went to start it. But, next to the start stop button it said SERVICE and it would not start.

I am hoping it is because of the outside temperature, below 0. I quess we will see when it warms up unless anyone has any ideas.

This happened to me today. At first, I just got the green backlight with no numbers or words. After turning off and on a few times, the display was jumping all over the place with the word service. I took the control unit off. There did not seem to be moisture inside, but I went ahead a took a blow dryer to it. After getting it nice and warm, I reattached the display and everything seems to be working. My ribs should still be ready in time for the Super Bowl. If this happens again, I'll give CS customer service a call, but hopefully it was just the frigid weather we've had in Oklahoma the past week.
I've been smoking ribs this afternoon, and everything seems to be working. However, after about 1.5 hours, I did develop moisture in the display. So, I took the controller off again, and blew more air with a hair dryer, with it still plugged in so I would not interrupt my bbq. The second shot with the hair dryer removed the moisture from the display.

I'll be calling customer service Monday morning.
quote:
Originally posted by BluesBQ:
I've been smoking ribs this afternoon, and everything seems to be working. However, after about 1.5 hours, I did develop moisture in the display. So, I took the controller off again, and blew more air with a hair dryer, with it still plugged in so I would not interrupt my bbq. The second shot with the hair dryer removed the moisture from the display.

I'll be calling customer service Monday morning.

As has been mentioned many times on this forum, Cookshack customer service was very responsive and sent a new controller out the day I called. It is now installed and seems to be working fine. One thing I did, though, was purchase some silica gel desiccant packets from Amazon. I placed these within the controller before screwing down tight. Don't know if this will help with future moisture, but I figured it couldn't hurt, and the desiccant packets were cheap.
Last edited by bluesbq

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.