Skip to main content

Iam struggling with which smoker to buy. I like everything about the cookshack, except the smaller size as compared to the smokintex 1500. The 18 x 18 shelfs and the fact that you can have more of them, is hard for me to get past. Can someone who has seen these units give some insight as to how the size difference in the two smokers compare. Many of my cooks are for larger groups and the additional size is extremely appealing. Help!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I too was in same boat! I have the St1500 for over a year . I have done ribs, butts, chickens, briskett, and jerky many times. Lets just say I have alot more visitors during supper hours on weekends! Works great for me as size was an issue with my jerky demand. Although I cant speak on a Cs I would bet my bottom dollar they are as advertised!
I just recently went through the same dilemma. I ended up with a CS55. This forum and the CS reputation sold me. I'm confident that if something goes wrong with my CS in the future I will not have a problem getting replacement parts. You can easily work around the size difference. I have also found myself doing smaller family smokes because it is so easy.
Good luck on your decision.
I personally have the ST and have found that it is almost identical to my neighbors CS. You really just have to go with peace of mind. I got the ST because it was cheaper via an ebay transaction. My fiance said it is the best investment we have ever made. If that means anything to you. Also, the forum here is friendly to both manufactures. That said, there is no forum at ST. I have read posts where someone here will bash the ST as being not as good, but my experience has shown that they are to close to avoid an equal comparison. Mine is stainless, it holds a very steady temperature and produces great end results. Need I say more?
quote:
I personally have the ST and have found that it is almost identical to my neighbors CS.

In that case Tony's neighbor must not own an AQ. Davele is comparing the CS-AQ with the ST-1500 and as our friend Tom said they are two totally different animals. The AQ has fully digital control. Truly set it and forget it. The meat probe allows you to put in a set temperature at which point the electronics will drop the oven temperature down to a holding value. The ST is fully manual and will require monitoring, but it's bigger. Do you want size or convenience. Once you've homed in on that your decision should be easy.

Oh, one other thing. Do you want to support American industry or Chinese industry.
quote:
The AQ has fully digital control. Truly set it and forget it. The meat probe allows you to put in a set temperature at which point the electronics will drop the oven temperature down to a holding value. The ST is fully manual and will require monitoring, but it's bigger. Do you want size or convenience.

TaktEZ is absolutely correct-a-mundo. I went through the same choices when buying a second smoker to my 055. ST looks good, but when a company can't even do a professional looking webpage these days...well...hmmmmm! Nuf said!

I went with the AQ, love the digital control and it is the closest you can get to the SM150 to cook like the pro's. ST IMHO is not even an option with the choice between an AQ.
Rob
Last edited by Former Member
Not that I'm trying to push the CS Big Grin but read between the lines on the specs. For capacity the ST is almost double the AQ. The ST has 9 rack positions the AQ has 8. With the AQ you have 2 positions for the side racks so if you move the 4 grill racks up 2 inches you now have 8 rack positions. The ST comes with 3 standard racks and 1 seafood rack. The AQ comes with 4 standard racks. Will 25% of your smoking be seafood? The outside dimensions are very close ST 21x23x41 the AQ 20.5x21.5x39.5. I'm not sure how you can get twice the capacity in almost the same amount of space. Well that my two cents worth.

P.S.
I agree with Rob about the web page.
I appreciate everyones help. I just have a question about the rack positions. From what i have gathered the AQ only has 4 rack positions, each 5 inches apart. Am I misunderstanding something? If there are truly 8 rack postions, it would make me feel better about the AQ. I don't mind purchasing additional racks, if they can all be used. Thanks again everyone - This forum really is fantastic.
quote:
Originally posted by TaktEZ:
quote:
I personally have the ST and have found that it is almost identical to my neighbors CS.

In that case Tony's neighbor must not own an AQ. Davele is comparing the CS-AQ with the ST-1500 and as our friend Tom said they are two totally different animals. The AQ has fully digital control. Truly set it and forget it. The meat probe allows you to put in a set temperature at which point the electronics will drop the oven temperature down to a holding value. The ST is fully manual and will require monitoring, but it's bigger. Do you want size or convenience. Once you've homed in on that your decision should be easy.

Oh, one other thing. Do you want to support American industry or Chinese industry.

I realize that, I was just giving my two cents on Smokin-tex being a sound quality product. I also know that from this web site and others that there have been some issues with the Amerique which were getting worked out and I didn't at any time make references to those. As I said before, There are two great smilar products available for his choice. I am entitled to my opinion and I support this website.
That said, one of the problems with this website is at times ya'll can get consumed with tunnel vision. I like to keep an open mind and look at all posibilities.
If you don't want to buy chinese, stop shopping completely.
Well, from my experience.. CS rocks. I know nothing about ST other than seeing them at Sportsmans Warehouse.

I guess the only thing I have an issue with is NSF certification. I don't know why CS can't do a cert on a box like the AQ for a reasonable price. The AQ is, IMO, a step above all the other residential models. AQ should fall into the tweener category Wink

ST 1500-C is more expensive than the AQ but it is NSF certified. You can' get into CS that is certified for less than an arm n a leg.. I'd be willing to pay a couple hundred more for that cert.
Don't know about the nsf certification for the 1500c. I bought one of those last december and on the plackard it states"for residental use only".
I paid a premium for the nsf cert. Still talking to smokintex about this one. The health inspector won't pass it with that plackard on it.I finally got to talk to someone at smokintex, and I'm suppost to get back to them with what color the wheels are. No bashing going on here, just telling it like it is.Nuff said
quote:

Tony, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. If you'll read the above quote, it states that the two units are "identical". I merely pointed out that you couldn't be comparing the the 1500 and the AQ because of the differences in their attributes. If you meant to say that their quality levels or physical dimensions were identical then maybe you could have been a little more specific.

As to supporting American industry, I'll always do that whenever possible. Contrary to what you might think, there are still US products to buy. Cookshack is a good example.
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Howard:
Don't know about the nsf certification for the 1500c. I bought one of those last december and on the plackard it states"for residental use only".

Don't know if you have a 1500 or a 1500-C. I received a message from Jim in Sales as I asked this question earlier.. Here is his reply.

Bill,
Yes, the unit is certified by ETL to meet the NSF/ANSI standards for
commercial cooking equipment. We have over 100 of the units in commercial kitchens today including Doubletree Hotel and Brennan's of
Houston.
Bill, any other questions please let me know.
Jim
I talked to Jim and he told me to check the color of the wheels.If they are gray and have the brakes on the side,then it is a commercial unit. If the wheels are black and the brake is on top, then it is a residential unit.Well the wheels on mine are gray and the brakes are on the side, but the plakard says"for residential use only" either way the health inspector won't pass it as nsf certified with that plakard on it. I will leave a voice message to jim and tell him about the wheel color and brakes.I won't take up any more time on here about this matter, as it supposed to be the Cookshack site not Smokintex. How I even got started was the gentlemen was trying to decide about which smoker to purchase, and as I own both I was only trying to put in my $.02
Just a note on the certification.

Sometimes the folks doing the certification can get backed up to unreasonable levels/times.

My guess is the company idea was to get the product out to its target market,without undue delay.

If there seems to be enough interest,I'd guess Donna and Stuart would consider it.

Up to this point, the 150 series has met the needs for that market for many years.
IF ST owners have issues with their smokers, this isn't the place to post, please take those to ST direct.

Now, back to the issue:

BIG difference in the AQ and the ST is the controller. ST does not have a digitial controller so you're comparing different smokers. The DT in the CS is essentially the same one CS has had for years in their commercial line.

Are you needing certification? Health dept will demand a sticker, if they don't see it, they won't let it be used in commercial kitchens. That's why CS goes through NSF and UL for the entire commercial line (including the FEs).

Do the rack positions matter? 4 racks holds about the same amount and you can only put so much in the smokers anyway, so I'm not sure I know what's the question (I confuse easily).
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by TaktEZ:
quote:

Tony, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. If you'll read the above quote, it states that the two units are "identical". I merely pointed out that you couldn't be comparing the the 1500 and the AQ because of the differences in their attributes. If you meant to say that their quality levels or physical dimensions were identical then maybe you could have been a little more specific.

As to supporting American industry, I'll always do that whenever possible. Contrary to what you might think, there are still US products to buy. Cookshack is a good example.

Not a problem... Also I would like to apologize if I have offended you or anyone else on the forum.

I realize there would not be a ST without a CS!
You get what you pay for!

We bought an Americue for my husband. Until we owned the Amerique, he did all of the outside cooking. Now, my teenage daughter uses the Amerique as often as anyone. We cook for some sizable crowds. If the Americue isn't large enough in terms of capacity, perhaps you should look into a commercial oven.

Janna

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.