Skip to main content

I’ve been traveling quite a bit over the past few months and have spent very little, if any, time with my smoker (CS008). Now that I’m grounded for a couple weeks I thought I’d reacquaint myself with the unit this past weekend. Also, since it was our daughters first home visit during her freshman year in college, and my FILs birthday, I thought I’d splurge a little and smoke a prime rib.

I picked up a “prime” grade prime rib that was dry aged for 28 days - a little over 13 lbs. I sprinkled it generously with some kosher salt and let it air dry in the refrigerator on a rack overnight. The following day I let the roast come to room temp and applied a paste/rub containing salt, freshly ground black pepper, Montreal seasoning, rosemary, garlic confit, Dijon, EVOO, and red wine vinegar.

I pre-warmed the smoker to 180°F with 4 oz. sugar maple. I cooked the roast continuously at that temp to an internal temp of 121°F then pulled, foiled and rested it for about 40 minutes. I didn't pay strict attention to the cook time, but it was around 4 to 4 ½ hours to get to the pull temp. During the rest, the internal temp rose to 126°F. Following the rest, the roast was placed in an oven pre-heated to 550°F for 10 minutes to sear the exterior. I then removed, carved, and served it.

The results were perfect. Nice crisp exterior, and pink and moist throughout with just a miniscule hairline of grey at the outer edge which was brought on by the high temp sear. After trying a variety of ways to cook a prime rib over the past few decades, I settled on this method many years ago and have not looked back. It’s simple with guaranteed excellent results 100% of the time.

As many others do, I keep a sauce pan of simmering au jus (or beef stock) infused with garlic juice and rosemary on the burner for those that like their meat more well done. I dip the meat in the pan for a couple minutes to color it, not to cook it much, if any more, at all. It’s funny how some folks find that their meat tastes so much better when it’s grey all the way through.

I took some pictures, but can’t find my card reader to transfer them. When I find it I’ll return and post the pictures.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

^^^^ I agree!

What is really nice, is the side dishes or guests are running late, it doesn't hurt the PR to have an extra 30 minute rest and you still get a nice crust with the sear. I've tried 200*, but have settled with 180*. I like to finish at 128-30* internal temp, I only do 2 or 3 bone ribs.

I'm guessing that I may not get quite the carry over heat as your whole PR and I'm sure that my other eating partners prefer Medium Rare, oh well, easier too live with it/them then try to change them...LOL!
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Qnorth. Let the prime rib rest for 30 minutes before searing so it'll cool down and allow for plenty juice redistribution. Then sear on the shorter side, like 6 minutes. Still keep an eye on it. It'll be ready to slice once you pull it from the oven.

I agree. A 2 bone roast isn't really any thinner than a 6 bone one. It's just a smaller mass of meat. I normally do a 2 or 3 bone PR and sear for 6 to 8 minutes at 550. Also, though I didn't do it this time, I occasionally check the internal temp following the sear and most of the time there is no change at all. If there is an increase it's never more than 1 or 2 degrees.
Last edited by dls
quote:
Can't wait for the pictures. Technique sounds great. What are the measurements for the paste ingredients?

The paste was kind of an impromptu thing I threw together on the fly with certain ingredients that we like. As I recall, I put the following in a bowl:

- 1 tbs kosher salt (I kept this low since I had already salted the roast somewhat the night before)
- 3 tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs Montreal Steak Seasoning (I run it through a grinder to get it closer to a powder)
- 4 tbs fresh rosemary, minced
- 10 cloves garlic confit, mashed
- 3 tbs Dijon mustard

I then added equal amounts of EVOO and red wine vinegar to the bowl until the mix had a paste consistency that could be applied to the roast. I don't recall the exact amounts, but I'd guess 1/3 to 1/2 cup of each. I start on the low end and add as necessary until I get the consistency that I want.
quote:
Thanks Dave.

You're welcome.

Something I failed to mention earlier was that I never throw the bones away following the meal. There's always a fair amount of residual meat on them that makes for a great snack at a later time. Preheat your broiler to high. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the 1 teaspoon each dry mustard, cayenne and Worcestershire. Season with salt and pepper.

Brush or dip the bones with the spiced butter, then roll in Panko or fine bread crumbs. Coat well, but shake off any excess. Place in a broiler pan and broil, turning occasionally and basting with remaining butter, until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
quote:
Originally posted by dls:
The paste was kind of an impromptu thing I threw together on the fly with certain ingredients that we like. As I recall, I put the following in a bowl:

- 1 tbs kosher salt (I kept this low since I had already salted the roast somewhat the night before)
- 3 tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs Montreal Steak Seasoning (I run it through a grinder to get it closer to a powder)
- 4 tbs fresh rosemary, minced
- 10 cloves garlic confit, mashed
- 3 tbs Dijon mustard

I then added equal amounts of EVOO and red wine vinegar to the bowl until the mix had a paste consistency that could be applied to the roast. I don't recall the exact amounts, but I'd guess 1/3 to 1/2 cup of each. I start on the low end and add as necessary until I get the consistency that I want.

Just a thought...

but post this recipe as a new thread in PR. I think it's a good start for a paste and I just didn't want it getting hidden inside this thread.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.