Skip to main content

It wasn't bad when my parents were living, cooking for 3. But then my father died and several years later my mother is gone. I used to make stuff and a lot off the extra I would take to my neighbors, but I have moved so no neighbors, at least none close to me, and with the rising costs of meat as well as every other living expense (used to get Butts for $1.19 now they are $1.69) it is not economically feasible to do this. I will occasionally take a leftovers to work for co-workers, but don't want to do that all the time.

I have also found it is not as good or fun to just do a 4-5# butt as to do 24#.

I have resorted to making things more on the grill and in the slow cooker, same seasoning and all, just not getting the good slow smoked flavor and I have tried the cursed LS but it does not impart the same flavor, it has a purpose but not in the slow cooker with meat.

So what do the rest of you do with all the extra?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Get yourself a vacumm sealer. Smoke a butt and make pulled or chopped pork from it. Then portion it out to amounts for yourself and seal it in vacumm bags for freezing. Then very easy to put in boiling water to warm up again.

Use the pork for enchiladas, tacos, burritos, etc. Make a brunswich stew with it. Many different things can be made from it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.