Skip to main content

Frank from Maine, (stinkie), is the only other forum member I know here that makes wine except me. Frank also makes beer.

I racked my '04 Scuppernong wine off the fine lees and french oak on wed. morning. While doing so, it suddenly occured to me that I can use that wine-soaked oak to smoke meat. I have an 8 pound butt in the Smokette as I type this with 3 oz. of toasted French oak cubes in the wood box. I can't even begin to describe the wonderful smell coming out the top of the Smokette. The oak cubes had the wonderful fragrance of the famous Scuppernong grape when I put them in. I can't wait to taste the Q tomorrow.

Cool
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok. The 8 pound butt went in last night at 8pm on 250*. I slathered it with mustard first, then I threw a rub together and put it on thick. Got it out today at noon (16 hours) at 204*. Wrapped in double HD foil and double towels and rested in a cooler for 3 hours while we cleaned house. We pulled and my wife made cole slaw and we had it on hotdog buns, no sauce. My wife said it was the best BBQ pulled pork she ever put in her mouth! I don't know if the wine-soaked french oak made any difference, but it was the first time I used mustard.

Cool
Put a 9 pound packer brisket in the smokette yesterday at 11.40 am on 200* with 3 oz. of toasted french white oak cubes out of my '04 Muscadine wine which was racked yesterday morning and tasted and found to have plenty of oak character. The brisket hit 195* at 1 pm today. 25 hours, 20 minutes. It is wrapped in double HD foil and double towels and in a cooler. Today is my birthday. The wife has a big pan of baked beans in the oven with leftover pulled pork added. We are also having slaw and smashed tators. After that, we will have triple chocolate cake and chocolate icecream. I will wash it all down with a bottle of my '03 Blackberry Nouveau. Sending Okie a pic to post so all will know what I mean by white oak cubes, meant for wine.

Cool
Hippie,

You convinced me, I�m going to steal a bottle of my wife�s white wine and soak up some 2 oz oak chunks with it. I guess its soaked when the wine goes away and the wood chunks looks soggy. If any mold gets on 'em I'll just burn it off. Big Grin This will be easier than making wine for my last effort making beer left 18 exploded bottles in the utility. Frowner What a mess!

Smokemullet
Smokin, If you just want some grape must or want to see what the oklahoma wine growers have as far as soaked wood try the oklahomawines.org site.One of my favorite wineries is the stableridge .It is in Stroud just a few miles off Turner Tpk.They are very nice.The site had addresses and phone numbers for all the wines and juice makers.
No barrels. The oak cubes simulate barrel fermentation and/or barrel aging.

mullet, just learn to make wine and use the oak from the wine after it becomes waterlogged and sinks to the bottom of the carboy or after you feel it needs to come out.

I think some used wine barrels might be good to tear down and chunk up for smoking. All wine barrels are made from white oak grown in cold areas so the grain is tight and either French, Hungarian, or American. They are toasted inside to varying degrees and are past their usefulness when no more oak is leached into the wine at which time they are soaked up with various vintages for years.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.