Skip to main content

I've been trying to hone a recipe for a thin sauce, and I hear Arthur Bryant's sauce is thin. For those of you who have eaten at Arthur Bryant's, am I on the correct path here? And what's your take on their sauce (I'd like to know before I order some).

The following is a recipe posted somewhere by DrBBQ who says it's his best attempt at their sauce. If any of you have tried this, let me know how it compares.

Arthur Bryant's Barbecue Sauce

½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup rice vinegar
1 cup water
½ cup paprika
1/3 cup yellow mustard
¼ cup brown sugar
1/8 cup kosher salt
1/8 cup worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
a little black pepper
1 tablespoon hot sauce - Chowalla if available

Cook until desired thickness. Fine tune flavors by adjusting quantities.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ray,like many of us over the years,likes to go to the original Bryant's,have the combo beef/pork plate and fries.

I'd get the cold dill pickle,but he passes on vegetables that are green. Roll Eyes

I'm sure that after eating there for the last 20-25 years,that is as close as Ray's taste buds gets.

Is it actually worth ordering,at all?

You'll have to judge what to do with it.
Tom, I'm glad to know you're eating your vegetables! LOL

Maybe I need to ask my real question. It's not Arthur Bryant's sauce I'm trying to dupe. What I'm trying to come up with is a thin, yet flavor-packed sauce. I don't want it sticky sweet, thick or gloopy--I want folks to be able to apply it and still know there's meat under all that sauce. I like thin vinegar sauces, but I want it tomato based, with some sweet heat.

Anything advice you (or anyone else for that matter) can offer would be appreciated.
Here's a thin sauce.

2½ cups catsup
¾ cup brown sugar
1½ cups chili sauce
1½ cups wine vinegar
1½ cups water
¾ can beer
¾ cup lemon juice
½ cup prepared mustard
½ tsp onion powder (or minced onion to taste)
1 Tbl celery seed
1 Tbl Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbl soy sauce
2 cloves minced garlic
ground black pepper and hot sauce to taste
Like Ezgoin said,some of the Texas/Oklahoma sauces should work.

My old neck o' the woods,west Ky,west Tn,Memphis might fill the bill.

If the long thread on forum sauces is still around ,you might be able to pick from there.

Another option is to pick a commercial sauce that might start and cut it with black coffee,,or losalt beef broth.

A little apple juice,or a little cider vinegar could work.

Original/mild Cookshack is used by a lot of comp teams and very successful on the circuit.

Just a couple thoughts.
Yessir,I can vouch for a visit to the original,as you have touched a place in history.

An old story was that I was haulin' mexican leather coats out of Monterry,Mx and we stopped at A B's about 1970.

They found a couple of glass gallon jugs and filled them with sauce.

Before their retail days.

Packed them in with the leathers for padding.

They broke on the road back to Ky and ruined most of the leather coats.

One more adventure of my mispent youth. Roll Eyes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.