What follows is, to date, my best effort on ribs using my Smokette:

First, the rub:

ROJO's Rib Rub

2 cups of raw sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 teaspoons chili seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper (fresh ground with medium flakes if possible)
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine this into a large bowl (glass is best) and mix well. This should be enough for 3 slabs of baby back ribs.

Remember to take of the membrane from the back of the rib and rub that side also.

Rub ribs down thoroughly and store in fridge 24 hours prior to smoking. Remove ribs from fridge and set them out on the counter 2 hours before placing in smoker.

The Smoking Process
This is the easy part. Use 3 ounces of apple wood. Place ribs in smoker and smoke at 225 degrees for 7 hours. That's right 7 hours. I know CookShack says 3 or 4 hours, but trust a Memphian, you want to go for 7 hours. I should warn you now. When doing this for the first time, don't invite anyone over. If you do, you won't get more than 2 or 3 bones.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Cliefellow:
I know CookShack says 3 or 4 hours

Maybe they do in some of the recipes, but the forum gang will say longer also.

Thanks for the recipe, I'm sure it will be great for someone so they can report back in with their success.

Congrats, it's fun when you find success isn't it?

Russ
I tried your recipe yesterday. You were right about not having anything left over. My ribs were inhaled in no time at all. Actually, I ran out of time so I pulled them off after 6 hours & left them in foil for an hour. The best ribs I have ever tasted. Next time, I will plan better and go the entire 7 hours. Thanks for the tips. bob
quote:
Originally posted by ecelis:
Why would spare ribs take a shorter time than baby backs? They are bigger and have more fat, so I assume they should go in for a longer amount of time...

Also, 7 hrs w/o foiling? How come these ribs don't end up like dry as jerky?

We're kinda threadjacking the original recipe, but I don't think "generally" BB will take longer, it's the other way around.

The KEY however is weight. You could get small spares and large loin backs where the LB weigh more than the spares.

And plenty of ribs don't need foil to keep from being shoe leather. It's all of function of cooking method, fat content and watching them like a hawk.

Personally, at home I never foil.

If you want, just start a new discussion in the rib forum and we'll be glad to.
Wow - That looks like the recipe I-ll try for my first run of ribs!

Forgive a rooky smoker for asking... but my experience with ribs have been on a charcoal weber and finishing to a glaze at the end with my favorite sauce. Under this scenario are they just served up as is when done and no need for sauce?
Just used the Rojo's rib rub for the first time today. 3 Slabs of Baby Back's for 4 hours at 225* with apple wood in my CS 025. They were awesome and this rub was everyones favorite out of several that I have tried. These ribs were a little smaller so 4 hours was just right. Thanks for the recipee!
Gave these a whirl for the first rib run on the AQ.

Followed rub recipe with exception of using processed cane sugar vs. raw (added some brown sugar to replace the molasses that had been processed out). Cooked at the 225 for 5 hours.

Turned out a beautiful looking finish and nice flavor.

Wife took seconds loved the dry rub...kids and I found we missed the wet caramelized ribs.

I was a bit disappointed in the overall finished product though. Areas of the rib were moist and tender and fall off the bone which I prefer other areas of the rack seemed to be too well done? I understand firmness of the rib meat is a sign of not done enough but it actually seemed dried out in the leaner areas? The 3 slabs varied from 2.4 lbs to 2.6 lbs.

Is this a sign of a) lower quality rib (I noticed on the narrow end there really wasn't much meat between the bone) or b) overdone resulting in the dry/tough lean areas or c)not done enough?? or none of the aboveSmiler? my gut says these ribs became overdone because of the smaller size and lack of fat/meat on the narrow end.

Thoughts?
How did the toothpick feel when inserted it between the bones?

Could be a lot of things....might be you had enhanced ribs and you put a lot of salt on them...could be the ribs were overdone...how long you rub ahead of time?

It does seem a long time at 225*, but what do I know I tend to cook my ribs a little hotter.

Sure wish you had slid a toothpick in them and we wouldn't be guessing as much.

Didn't you get some RR with your cookshack? I've had good luck with it, just add a little salt and pepper to your rub right before you cook.

Hey if your doing more than one rack, cook them the way each of you likes.
no toothpick test. I broke the "when there done they are done" rule cuz we had a 45 minute window of having all of us home at the same time to eat. I threw them on at noon over lunch break and pulled em off when I got home and everyone had the feed bag strapped on.

I also didn't watch them "like a hawk" Per Smokin's suggestion...just wasn't home to be able to do it.

You may be right on with the salt question. I marinated overnight and actually let them warm up to room temp more like 3 hours...leading to the question of salt working overtime and could have pulled the moisture out.

Ifs ands n butts.

I did get some cookshack RR. I'll take a swing with that next time and KISS when i've got time to watch them closer...that way i can also take your suggestion of mixing it up both ways.

Livn' n learn'

So when you say you cook hotter more like 250?
I cook in an AmeriQue.

Do 2.5# lion backs at 235*, for 4 hours 15 min., put ribs in at room temp. I only have my rub on for a maximum of 4 hours usually only about 2 or so. Add more rub right before I put the ribs in the AQ.

When I take the ribs out I double foil them and let them rest for 30 minutes to an hour before we eat!

Keep notes and in a few more times it will be to your liking!

Good luck.
OK - after some smokes with the AQ I've learned what may have been my demise. As noted elsewhere it's recommended you know should learn the internal temps.

I cooked the ribs on the very top rack not realizing the temps vary so greatly. Makes sense tho...had I cooked lower and closer to the heat source (which is also closer to the internal probe) I have a feeling the results would have been significantly different.

The last cook I did I checked the internal temp in the area of the first rack by lowering a temp probe to a level about even with the top rack. The CS internal temp was reading 250 exactly where I had the CS temp set. The secondary probe toward the top only read 170....I could hardly believe there could be 80 degrees difference inside that small box but it would explain why even after so long of a time the ribs just weren't cooking like they should have.

Don't discount the recipe on my account. The flavor is awesome...just my own screw up in not knowing what temps I was cooking at. I'll be giving that recipe another run sometime.
quote:
Originally posted by thebigticker:
...The last cook I did I checked the internal temp in the area of the first rack by lowering a temp probe to a level about even with the top rack. The CS internal temp was reading 250 exactly where I had the CS temp set. The secondary probe toward the top only read 170....I could hardly believe there could be 80 degrees difference inside that small box but it would explain why even after so long of a time the ribs just weren't cooking like they should have.

In all the years I've used them, I've NEVER seen a CS with a lower temp at the high spot. Heat rises, it's just a science thing.

I'd do what Pags said and check both probes, for me, it just doesn't sound right.

Heck, you could prove us wrong, but for me, 80 degrees just doesn't match, especially in an AQ, there's just not that much distance and heat won't lose heat rising.

We'll figure it out, but let's start a new thread and not threadjack the overall one and we'll try to help sort it out

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.