Skip to main content

Anyone watch yesterdays show? Was nice to see a tri tip make it into the competition as one of the meats. I don't think any of the three contestants ever cooked one. When they said they were going to treat it like a brisket, I about died. 2 of them actually turned in a nice box. But one of them was a disaster. The one that added shaved lump coal into his finishing salt.

I think my Tri Tip could have held it's own against the competition. But we love our Tri Tip out West, isn't that right Pags?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98: The one that added shaved lump coal into his finishing salt.

I could not believe he shaved the lump! Lump dust has ended up in my mouth before and it surely is not a good tasting condiment. The judges didn't know what to think about it, it appeared. It probably was alright other than that.
Tri Tip GOOOOOD!
Last edited by Former Member
If ya'll aren't aware at how they find these contestants,our former team mate,while we were on a break from cooking,decided to get involved.He vends,caters,and intends to be restaurant involved.

You spend your own money to have a professional video made with all the coaches,writers,etc.

If you are accepted,they typically pay you $250 for your involvement.The hauling your rig from central Florida to TX and on to CA and the couple weeks involved is your expense.

You can guess that the producers will select characters from broad areas of the country and meats that may be common to backyarders around the country that can identify.The more over the top/bizarre your video is,the better your chance to appear.

At least this time ,they have included a couple comp cooks that we all know-along with some restaurant characters.

At least it gets bbq exposed-a little.
Last edited by tom
Right on Padre. When done right (medium rare), it's a great cut of meat. I'm still partial to Santa Maria style, but marinated and grilled, smoked with a rub...all is good. Don't know why the folks back east haven't caught on to tri tip, but it's a great go to meat for barbecue parties.

We went to a barbecue party Saturday, and my buddy smoked then grilled tri tip. It was delicious.

I've got the BBQ Pitmasters recorded, so I look forward to seeing it.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Right on Padre. When done right (medium rare), it's a great cut of meat. I'm still partial to Santa Maria style, but marinated and grilled, smoked with a rub...all is good. Don't know why the folks back east haven't caught on to tri tip, but it's a great go to meat for barbecue parties.

We went to a barbecue party Saturday, and my buddy smoked then grilled tri tip. It was delicious.

I've got the BBQ Pitmasters recorded, so I look forward to seeing it.

Tri-tip is eight bucks a pound at Publix Supermarket and you have to special order it. A friend of mine from California showed me a package he bought last week and I started to drool.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.