Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smoked Peach BBQ Sauce

• 1 (15 1/4 oz.) can cling peaches, save the juice

• 1/4 c. Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard

• 3 tbs. worcestershire sauce

• 1 tbs. Tapa Tio Hot Sauce (or your choice)

• 1/2 tsp. cayenne

Place the peaches in a plate or aluminum pie pan. Smoke in a presmoking smoker with 1 oz. hickory for 1 hour at 150. Remove, cool, and blend with remaining ingredients in blender or processor. If you want it thinner, which I don't, thin with some of the peach juice. I use light syrup pack.

Great on pork, chicken, game birds, halibut, and domestic duck and goose.
Smokin'Okies Memphis Style Okie Rib Sauce

Base

• 32 oz ketchup (tomato sauce if you want)

• 1/2 cup yellow mustard

• 1/2 cup cider vinegar

• 1/2 cup brown sugar

• 1/4 cup chili powder

• 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper

• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

• 1 tablespoon garlic salt

• 1 teaspoon celery salt

To modify this you can do the following:

• Brown Sugar. If you want it sweeter, add more sugar, you can double or triple the amount. You can also cut it, but you'll need something to given it a little sweet. Heck, don't add it if you don't want.

• Tony Chachere's Cajun Spice. If you want some heat or add some savory, this is your thing! I've used all the Cajun Spices I can find and this blend is the real deal. But it's got some heat in it, start with only a teaspoon and go from there. You can find it at most stores in the Spice Isle or check out this site to see what it looks like:
    tony Chachere's
  • Worchester. Feel free to double the amount if you want. I like this stuff in sauces.

• Other alternatives for heat. I'm not a fan of Tabasco, but many are, feel free to use it. Peppers are okay, use your favorite. Try some Cayenne or Pepper flakes for some spice. Don't use Paprika (not really lots of flavor for me, more for coloring I think)

• Other alternatives for spice. Try some allspice or nutmeg or ground cloves or ground ginger. I wouldn't use more than an teaspoon of any one.

There you have it. It's a start! You have to develop it to your experiences and taste buds and it will also matter if you put a dry rub on your pork -- how well will the rub and sauce blend?

That's the fun part. Start with a good base that you like, that's kind of simple and then add flavors and go -- go -- go!
Smokin Okies Vinegar Mop for Pulled Pork

(also called an Eastern Carolina Sauce)

• 2 cups cider vinegar

• 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)

• 2 tablespoons salt (I like the flavor in Kosher/Sea Salt and bigger granules)

• 2 tablespoon red pepper (crushed)

• 1 teaspoon cayenne (I've also used Hungarian Paprika)

Don't need to cook this sauce, just combine, let sit overnight. Put this on your Butt, it'll go wild.
Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)

• 4 cups apple juice

• 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

• 4 tablespoons cider vinegar

• 2 tablespoon dry mustard

• 4 tablespoon brown sugar

• 3 bay leaf

• 6 cloves of garlic

• 2 teaspoon ground ginger

• 1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)

• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.

I make extra and put it in the fridge and it should last for a couple of months. But it's never around that long.

When I put some pork in food saver bags, I'll put some of this sauce in there with it -- when I reheat the pork it taste just like the first time.
Smokin' Okie, sir, just a note to tell you how much I (and my guests) enjoyed your recipes for Baste and Serve sauce and Mustard sauce.

When my Cookshack arrived here at Rude Manor the first thing I cooked was a big ol' butt, and I kinda went hog-wild on the sauces, only serving six or so to the assembled throng. Parts of this first experimental butt were kinda dry, but very tasty, so I filled a skillet with pulled pork and doused it liberally with the Baste and Serve and cooked it down to a glaze - let's just say there were no leftovers to speak of...

And the mustard sauce...I'm still thinking of things to put that on.

So out of the six sauces on the table, yours were clearly the peoples choice. My toque is doffed to you, sir...
Rude, after the week I've had, your comments are VERY appreciated.

That's why I post them, so others can have them and enjoy them. I'm sure those that love the Ketchup based sauces turn their palate away from these you talk about. It's funny how we try our normal sauces, but when you try a new sauce like those on Butt, yummy!

Smokin' Smiler
Here's a little number I just ran across while doing a search:

Hot Smoke Finishing Sauce

Recipe By : "Hot Licks"

1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium yellow onion -- coarsely chopped
6 medium garlic cloves -- minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup bourbon
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coriander -- ground
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
8 medium chipotle peppers -- dried or canned
1 fresh habanero pepper -- stemmed
1 14 oz bottle ketchup
1 1/2 cups water
salt -- to taste
Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until soft. Lower heat, add sugar, syrup, bourbon, vinegar, spices, and cocoa, and reduce for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut the chiles in half and add to the pot, along with the ketchup, water and salt. Cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours, covered, stirring occasionally and adding more water if the sauce becomes thicker than ketchup. When sauce has cooled slightly, puree in the blender.
Refrigerated, the sauce will keep 2 to 3 weeks.
Razzer
Amigos: Here's grim news about sauces.

Interesting article
Unholy Guacamole: E. Coli Found In Mexican-Style Hot SauceSamples
June 18, 2002
PHILADELPHIA (American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine) -- Travelers' diarrhea is the scourge of travelers to locales where hygiene is poor. This study suggests another possible source for travelers' diarrhea. A study found that 41 of 71 tabletop hot sauces in 36 popular
tourist restaurants in Guadalajara, Mexico, and 10 of 25 sauces from 12 popular Mexican-style, non-chain restaurants in Houston, Texas, were contaminated with E. coli bacteria.
Since E. coli is a common cause of "travelers' diarrhea," the findings suggest that eating contaminated hot sauces may lead to travelers' diarrhea.
The sauces from Guadalajara more frequently contained E Coli
contaminants and the median level of contamination was more than 1,000 times greater than that of the sauces from Houston.
In both cities, guacamole was more frequently contaminated than green sauces or red sauces. In Guadalajara, the sauces
were usually sitting at room temperature on the restaurant table. Frowner
I have been using a variation of Jim Schroeder's Use for any Meat Sauce on my ribs and I find that it works great. I have posted the original recipe below, with my variation added afterwards.

Jim Schroeder's Use for any Meat Sauce

Ingredients:

2 to 4 cups catsup (smaller amount makes a thicker sauce)
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup any red Wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic (freshly cut and minced)

Variation:

� cup American mustard

Smoke the sauce in a shallow baking pan until desired smoke flavor is achieved, or alternatively add 1/4 to 1/2 cup liquid smoke flavoring.

Cook until consistency is like a thick syrup.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.