Skip to main content

I'm thinking about trying beef cheekmeat in the 008. It is similar to a point or chuck in type of meat muscle and texture so I thought I'd handle it that way.

Anyone ever try to do one in the smoker? If so, what temps, times, preparations did you use? How did it come out? I didn't find anything in a search of the forums.

Thanks much,

Rick in CO
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't mean to be argumentative,just thinking about uses.

The question might be,that if a smoker often is used to cook large? otherwise useless meats,rather than grinding them to make burgers/sausage.

Usually , we are trying to break down collagen and render fat, that might only be accomplished by long times and low temps.

It is true that you can run anything through a food processor,and then steam it-Gerbers comes to mind,but is that the most probable use of a smoker?

I guess it could be rationalized,that a smoker could be used as a rice steamer?

Yes,most of us started out trying to use the smoker for everything.

Down in coal country,we can use a sideboarded dumptruck,with 120,000 lb capacity to go to the minitmart for a loaf of bread and a quart of milk-because we can .

Just a thought.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
I don't mean to be argumentative,just thinking about uses.
Usually , we are trying to break down collagen and render fat, that might only be accomplished by long times and low temps.
I guess it could be rationalized,that a smoker could be used as a rice steamer?
Yes,most of us started out trying to use the smoker for everything.
Just a thought.

This is a very good point. At the moment I am considering an 008 or 009. I want this for shoulders, ribs, and briskets. From reading hundreds of posts for the last two or three weeks I have come to the conclusion that this is exactly what this particular smoker was designed and developed for.I'm not saying that I won't put the occasional chicken, turkey, etc in there. But, my purpose for them would be more to infuse with smoke than cook. As for jerky, cold smoking, better cuts of beef, pork, etc., there are far better ways out there to prepare them.
Anyway it seems to be almost a mania, after purchasing a smoker to try to smoke everything. And, sometimes the results are not very good. I guess it's "the right tool for the right job" kind of thing

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.