Skip to main content

1 lb brisket, pulled pork or cooked bacon
1 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
1 15oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
3 15oz cans baked beans (i use busch's orig.)
1 large sweet onion finely chopped
1 pablano pepper or gr pepper seeded and chopped
4-8 cloves chopped garlic
3-6 diced Jalapeno's (I include most of seeds)
2 cups sweet BBQ sauce
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup dijon mustard
2 tsp liquid smoke (optional and why if smoking)
kosher salt and pepper to taste

place all ingredients in foil panm mix well and smoke with ribs, pulled pork or whatever. If smoking chicken just make sure beans are on a rack above the chicken. I usually smoke for 2 to 3 hours and add BBQ sauce if they start to dry out a bit.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by seasoned1:
1 lb brisket, pulled pork or cooked bacon
1 15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
1 15oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
3 15oz cans baked beans (i use busch's orig.)
1 large sweet onion finely chopped
1 pablano pepper or gr pepper seeded and chopped
4-8 cloves chopped garlic
3-6 diced Jalapeno's (I include most of seeds)
2 cups sweet BBQ sauce
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup dijon mustard
2 tsp liquid smoke (optional and why if smoking)
kosher salt and pepper to taste

place all ingredients in foil panm mix well and smoke with ribs, pulled pork or whatever. If smoking chicken just make sure beans are on a rack above the chicken. I usually smoke for 2 to 3 hours and add BBQ sauce if they start to dry out a bit.

You like a lot of garlic Smiler
Other than that very similar to what we use
Yummmmm
Hey guys, i'm making BB Ribs this comming weekend, and i'm going to try these baked beans as well... I know ribs aren't smoked to a 'time' and i need to use to tooth pick test, however, i'm just wondering when i should put the beans in the smoker with the ribs. I know "seasoned" says he smoked the beans for 2-3 hrs...

Should i put the ribs in the smoker for about an hour and then open my 025 and put the beans in?
I smoke my beans at 225-235* for up to 4.5 hrs, and I'm starting with precooked beans not the raw versions. You can start them all at the same time and take them out together. If the ribs finish at 3 hrs 45 minutes or 4 hrs, the beans will be good to go. Mix the beans every hr so smoke is evenly distributed. Enjoy.
MaxQue,

I always but my beans below my meat (ribs, brisket, butts).

If the beans are cooked to above a safe temperature, then I don't believe there are any worries about cross contamination.
Someone tell me if I am wrong...
Same if there is a dish which has raw meat in it, as long as it is cooked to temp, no problem, right?
Thanks guys, i'll have to keep that in mind... However, i invited more guests on Sunday to watch the Steeler game, so i'll be smoking 7 racks of ribs w/o rib racks and i think i won't have any room in the smoker for the beans... so i'm going to smoke the beans and bacon saturday and then on sunday i'll just warm the beans up in the oven when the ribs are almost finished smoking.
Ben, i am no pro smoker, but liquid smoke is just that... it's a liquid which you add to food to make it 'taste' like it has been smoked... if you use it, only use a drop or two... it's very powerful stuff.

can't comment on the onion question... all i know is i made this recipe 2 weekends ago and followed it to the 'T'...

Since then, my best friend told me he wants more and that he went home and told his wife he had the best baked beans, even better than her's... she got mad and told him, why doesn't he live with me, since all the food i've made in my smoker thus far is better than her home style cooking. LOL My girl friends family is also asking me to make the beans again... they asked if i could make a double batch for their next family function. Smiler

I just want to thank all the great cooks on this site for all the help and nice comments! Smiler
its been a busy summer and one of our 5 boys graduated into the Green Beret, one got engaged, one graduated from college and the other 2 just cost me money. Not to mention our 2 daughters so i am sorry for delay in response time.

saute the onions, peppers and garlic to sweeten the onions and blend the flavors. I tried it both ways and prefer them sauted to uncooked but it is my personal opinion.
In the past i used liquid smoke before i purchased my fec100 to add the smoke flavor while cooking them in the oven.
I freeze some pulled pork on a regular basis to have ready to add to the beans.
I actually call these The Best Beans on The Planet and adapted it from a recipe i found on the internet. I also make my own BBQ sauce which is sweet and spicy.
Just good Q. Enjoy and glad everyone liked it.
quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
You can start beans with ribs as long as you place the beans on top. You don't want cross contamination.

I know the Chef in you is right.

But the pitmaster in me says that I've been cooking beans under pork and brisket for many years (don't ask) and haven't had an issue.

I don't think it's an issue for two reasons.

1) I do it later in the cook after the initial drippings have come. I don't typically do them at the beginning but wait until the meat is almost done. 3 or 4 hours max (no pun)

2) I believe it's because the beans get above 165 and kill of most things.

Oh, and NEVER do them under any poultry...EVER
I have been doing the Doctored baked beans in the smoker for awhile. I use the canned Grilling Beans, and add bacon, diced onion, and bell peppers (my girls are very sensative to "Hot stuff"). Add a little Coke, or BBQ sauce. Put the pan of beans under what ever meat I am smoking, so the drippings go in the bean pan. Stir the beans once or twice during the smoke and let it go. They are great.
The basis of a recipe is to give you a starting point and then it is up to you to alter the ingredients to match your taste. So eliminating the Jalapeno's to palbano's or Anaheim's doesn't change the recipe it simply adjust the heat level for your individual likeness. The BBQ sauce used, to saute or use raw onions and peppers and which brand of beans are all subject to individual adjustments. Thats the beauty of this forum. Give you a starting point and let your taste buds lead you from there. That is how you go from a back yard cook to damn that guy/gal can put out some great que.
The Scoville units can be used to determine the heat level of a pepper.
The ranges of Scoville units typically used to call a pepper mild, medium, hot, or extra hot are:
• Mild (100 to 2,500)
• Medium (2,500 to 30,000)
• Hot (30,000 to 100,000)
• Extra Hot (100,000 to 300,000+)
Here’s a glance at heat levels for some popular hot peppers:
• Habanero Extra Hot (100,000 to 300,000)
• Tabasco Hot (30,000 to 50,000)
• Cayenne Hot (30,000 to 50,000)
• Jalapeño Medium (2,500 to 5,000)
• Poblano (Ancho) Mild (1,000 to 2,000)
for a complete list go to.
http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm
quote:
Originally posted by seasoned1:
forgot one important item to recipe

saute onions about 5-7 minutes in bacon drippings or butter then add garlic and contiue to saute for another minute. add to bean mixture. you can also saute the peppers but they work either way.

I Just made a one half recipe with the onions sauteed for the missus and me. We grilled a new York strip and fresh asparagus along with a salad. This was our first attempt with these beans. They were excellent! Will be doing them again!
I heat my beans up in the oven to smoker temperature before I put them in the smoker. If you put them in the smoker cold, that is a lot of cold thermal mass that drops the whole temperature of the smoker down a lot. That delays the finish time for whatever meat you are cooking. If I am smoking pork, I put the beans under the meat and the drippings flavor the beans wonderfully. If you are using canned beans, they are already cooked and only need an hour or so in the smoker to develop a wonderful flavor.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.