Skip to main content

I am happy to learn from the masters in this forum but I would still like to buy a few good books on Smoking. Any suggestions? As a beginner I would like to thank every one for their valuable insightful posts they are most helpful. I think so highly of this forum that I bought a Cookshack unit with out ever having seen or heard of one previously after reading Brining 101, reviewing this forum and one phone call to Cookshack staff.

Further speaking as a proud Canadian during the approach to your July 4th independence day celebrations I would like to say GOD BLESS AMERICA and thank you for everything you have done for the free world.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smoke and Spice by the Jamisons

Paul Kirk's book, which I have loaned to a friend and can't recall the book's title.

I just bought The Legends of Texas Barbecue and really liked it, but would I'd be bias. It has recipes and tells of different techniques, as well as interesting history of Texas cue.
Sorry, can't support that link. The first book it shows is a George Foreman book Red Face

I think what MM is wanting is our recommendations for books.

So MM, what KIND of Q book? Recipes? tips? good reading. The below list is from two years ago, but they're still good reads.

So, here's some:

1. Smoke and Spice : Cooking With Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue, on Your Charcoal Grill, Water Smoker, or Wood-Burning Pit Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison / Paperback / Published 1994

2. Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces : 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas Paul Kirk / Hardcover / Published 1997

3. The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook : Barbeque...It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore Hardcover / Published 1997

4. The BBQ Bible by Steve Raichlen
  5. Bar-B-Que, Barbecue, Barbeque, Bar-B-Q, B-B-Q : Booklet Carolyn S. Wells / Paperback / Published 1991

6. Kansas City Bbq Pocket Guide Ardie Davis / Published 1992

7. John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q : Over 150 Recipes and Tall Tales for Authentic, Braggin' Rights, Real Southern Bar-B-Q and All the Fixin's John Willingham / Hardcover / Published 1996

8. Smokestack Lightning : Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country Lolis Eric Elie, Frank Stewart (Photographer) / Paperback / Published 1997

9. Sublime Smoke : Bold New Flavors Inspired by the Old Art of Barbecue Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison / Hardcover / Published 1996

10. The Thrill of the Grill Chris Schlesinger, et al / Paperback / Published 1997

New ones include:

• Dinosaur BBQ (I suggest you look at this one before you buy)

• Legends of Texas BBQ is a good read, and a few recipes

• The Grand Barbecue: A Celebration of the History, Places, Personalities and Techniques of Kansas City Barbecue

Wow, the list will just keep going and going. Do a search for barbecue on Amazon and you'll come up with 510 books. No wonder you're asking Wink

Guess I'll just have to put out the Q University suggested reading list a little early (where I rate the book and you tell me why I'm wrong) Cool

Just Smokin'

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.