Skip to main content

Started looking at Amazon to see the annual "crop" of new books.

Here's my "ultimate" list, anything out there to add?

I have a copy of Chris Lily's new book on the way (pre-published version) and I need to add my copies of Ray Lampe's book.

Any new ones for 2009?

One thing I need to do is sort this/rate this from my perspective, this is just a "list" of ones I actually own, seems the family thinks I need books to learn how to Q.... Big Grin

Feel free to critique a book on the list, of if you see on that's NOT on the list, let me know and I'll add it.

1. All About Bar-B-Q Kansas City Style by Rich Davis (Paperback - March 1997)
2. All About Grilling, by the Editors of Joy of Cooking (Hardcover – 2001)
3. All-American Barbecue by Chef David Pantone Florida Culinary Institute (Softcover – 2002)
4. Barbecue America : A Pilgrimage in Search of America's Best Barbecue by Rick Browne, Jack Bettridge (Hardcover - April 1999)
5. Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes by Steven Raichlen, Ron Tanovitz(Illustrator) (Paperback - May 2000)
6. Barbecued Ribs, Smoked Butts, and Other Great Feeds (Knopf Cooks American Series) by Jeanne Voltz (Paperback - April 1996)
7. Barbecuing and Sausage Making Secrets : How to Buy Beef, Pork, Poultry, Lamb, Fish and Sausage by Charlie Knote
8. Bar-B-Que, Barbecue, Barbeque, Bar-B-Q, B-B-Q : Booklet by Carolyn S. Wells (Paperback - November 1991)
9. BBQ PDQ Twice the Flavor Twice as Easy by the Editors of Better Homes and Gardens (Spiral Hardcover – 2002)
10. Beer-Can Chicken : and 74 other offbeat recipes for the Grill by Steven Raichlen (Softcover – 2002)
11. Best Barbecue Recipes : A Collection of 200 recipes by Mildred Fischer (Spiral 2991)
12. Celebrating Barbecue – The Ultimate Guide to America's 4 Regional Styles of ˜Cue by Dotty Griffith (Hardcover – 2002)
13. Char-Broil Grill Lovers Cookbook, Char-Broil, 1985
14. COOKSHACK SMOKED FOODS COOKBOOK Over 190 Recipes for Authentic Pit Barbecues and Gourmet Wood-Smoked Foods by Running Press(Editor), Editors at Cookshack (Paperback)
15. Dinosaur Barbque by John Stage and Nancy Radke (Hardcover 2001)
16. Finger Lickin, Rib Stickin, Great Tasting Barbecue by Jane Butel (Paperback - September 1982)
17. Fish & Shellfish Grilled & Smoked, Karen Adler and Judith Fertig, 2002
18. Flavored Vinegars : 50 recipes for Cooking with Infused Vinegars by Michael Chiarelle (Softcover – 1996)
19. Great Barbecues – Kingsford (Softcover – 1989)
20. Grill Indoors and Outdoors, Easy Home Cooking Press, Pamphlet, June 2000
21. Grill Indoors and Outdoors: Featuring recipes from Kingsford French's Lawry's Lipton (Softcover -- 2000)
22. Grill It – Seafood , by Annette Yates, 1999
23. Grill It, by Annette Yates, 1999
24. Grilling For Dummies® by Marie Rama, John F. Mariani (Paperback - April 1998)
25. Hooked on Fish on the Grill by Karen Adler 1999
26. How to Cook MEAT by Chris Schlesinger & John Willoughby, 2002
27. How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated book of barbecue techniques by Steven Raichlen (Softcover – 2001)
28. John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q : Over 150 Recipes and Tall Tales for Authentic, Braggin' Rights, Real Southern Bar-B-Q and All the Fixin's by John Willingham (Hardcover - May 1996)
29. Kansas City Bbq Pocket Guide by Ardie Davis This title is out of print.
30. Let the Flames Begin by ATCO Gas Kitchen staff (Spiral 2002)
31. Memphis Barbecue, Barbeque, Bar-B-Que, Bar-B-Q, B-B-Q by Carolyn S. Wells (Paperback - September 1991)
32. North Carolina Barbecue : Flavored by Time by Bob Garner (Hardcover - September 1996)
33. Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces : 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas by Paul Kirk (Paperback - December 1997)
34. Planked Seafood Cookbook: Cooking on Wood by Chinook Planks (Spiral 1997)
35. Ribs : A Connoisseur's Guide to Barbecuing and Grilling by Christopher B. O'Hara, et al (Hardcover - November 2000)
36. Sauces and Salsas by Oded Schwartz, Ian O'Leary[/b] (Photographer) (Hardcover - October 1999)
37. Seafood Grilling : Twice a Week by Evie Hansen (Softcovery – 2001)
38. Smoke & Spice : Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue by Cheryl Alters Jamison, et al (Paperback - May 1994) 155832061X
39. SMOKE IT! 100 Succulent Recipes to Revolutionize Your Cooking by Paul Kirk (Hardcover)
40. Smokestack Lightning : Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country by Lolis Eric Elie, Frank Stewart(Photographer) This title is out of print.
41. Sublime Smoke : Bold New Flavors Inspired by the Old Art of Barbecue by Cheryl Alters Jamison, Bill Jamison(Contributor) (Paperback - May 1996)
42. Tequila : The Book by Ann Walker, et al (Paperback - June 1994)
43. The All American Barbecue Book by Rich Davis, Shifra Stein
44. The Barbecue! Bible by Steven Raichlen (Paperback - June 1998)
45. The Best Recipe: Grilling and Barbecue [Hardcover] By: Editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine
46. The Complete Book of Spices : A Practical Guide to Spices and Aromatic Seeds by Jill Norman
47. The Complete Meat Cookbook: A Juicy and Authoritative Guide to Selecting, Seasoning and Cooking Today's Beef, Pork, Lamb and Veal by Bruce Aidells, Denis Kelly (Hardcover)
48. The Cook's Illustrated Complete Book of Poultry by the Editors of Cook's Illustrated (Hardcover - August 1999)
49. The Grand Barbecue – A celebration of the History, Places, Personalities and Techniques of KC Barbecue by Doug Worgul (Hardcovery – 2001)
50. The Great American Barbecue & Grilling Manual by Hale Smoky, et al (Unbound)
51. The Great Australian Barbecue. Bay Books, 1991
52. The Great Barbecue Companion : Mops, Sops, Sauces, and Rubs by Bruce Bjorkman (Paperback - March 1996)
53. The Great Big Barbecue Cookbook (also published as the Ultimate Barbecue Cookbook) by Hermes Press, (Hardcover 1999-2001)
54. The Grilling Encyclopedia, by A. Cort Sinnes, 1992
55. The Jack Daniels Old Time Barbecue Cookbook by Vince Staten (Hardcover - April 1995)
56. The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook : Barbeque...It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore (Hardcover)
57. The Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook – Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses by Robb Walsh
58. The Stinking Cookbook : The Stinking Rose A Garlic Restaurant by Dal Bozzo (Softcover 1994)
59. The Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger, et al (Spiral-bound - May 1997) ISBN: 0811816729
60. The Ultimate Barbecue Sauce Cookbook by Jim Auchmutey, Susan Puckett(Contributor) (Hardcover - May 1995)
61. The Ultimate Grill Book/Ringbound by Sunset Books Editors, Sunset Magazine Editors
62. The Ultimate Grill Book JG Press (Softcover 2000)
63. Uncle Billy's Downeast Barbeque Book : Adventures in Barbeque by Jonathan St. Laurent, Charles Neave (Paperback - April 1992)
64. UPDATED: Smoke & Spice : Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue by Cheryl Alters Jamison, et al (Paperback - 2003)
65. Weber's Big Book of Grilling by Jamie Purviance and Sandra McRae (Softcover – 2001)
66. Whatcha Need to Know to Barbecue Like a Pro by Ron Lutz May 2001
67. Where There's Smoke, There's Flavor : Real Barbecue--The Tastier Alternative to Grilling [Paperback] By: Richard W. Langer

Previous discussions:
Other posts:

Best Books 2008

Which book, 2006

BBQ cookbooks, 2004

Favorite Q Book -- 2003

Best book, 2002

Favorite Q Books -- 2001
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for posting up the book list. Based the list and comments I picked up #33 and #38 from Amazon - used - for fraction of cover price.

Smoke & Spice: At 460 pages+ this is a comprehensive "cooking with smoke" recipe book. While I'm sure I'll find keeper recipes in here somewhere, as a cookshack novice, I am looking for something more 'instructive'. On the plus side, almost the entire book is related to "slow cooked with smoke" recipes.

Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ Sauces: The opening paragraph states that the purpose of this book is to teach you how to make sauces, rubs, marinades, salsas, etc. Very informative, instructive and insightful. Not surprising coming from a national champion who operates his own bbq school. Rub and sauce recipes are included, but the focus is on teaching reader to understand how good sauces and rubs are built and structured. Interesting recipes for homemade mustards, salsas and ketchups. I enjoyed this book a lot.
Once you master the art of Q, which CS makes easy, side dishes will get more important. I'm always looking for creative side dishes. I love the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook. I've justified buying it based on the pickle recipe alone. I bet we made 50 gallons of them last summer.

I didn't see any slow cooker books on that list. From what I hear you can make some serious BBQ by cooking a pork loin with a bottle of Kraft Original, some liquid smoke, and about a tablespoon of vinegar. Rachael Ray says so. yuuum!

They're here to take me away now. Gotta go.
I've got about 10% of the books on Smokin's list and enjoy each of them. One that I've used a number of times, not on the list, is:

The Great Ribs Book by Hugh Carpenter and Teri Sandison 1999

There are many different rib recipes which I've tried on my friends. Yes, I even tried the Asian recipe "Spicy Peanut Butter Slather". I know. I know. Just wanted to tell everyone they were eating peanut butter ribs. They were pretty decent.

I'd use the forum for cook times and temps as Tom suggests.
Last edited by pags

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.