Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For the exterior, heavy duty oven cleaner works good - wear proper ppe...

For the interior, if you just have that flaky soot stuff just use a stiff brush.  For greasy buildup at the bottom right of the unit, use a putty knife to scrape the stuff into a waste bucket and discard.

Once you get the big goop, take a shop vac and suck up the crud you knocked loose and the ash.  Suck the ash out of the fire box.  Dump both drawers.  Hopefully you lined the drip tray and drawers with foil?  If not scrape it all down and wash with soapy water.  Cover with heavy duty foil, reassemble and you are back in business.

Today I dug out my old weber charcoal kettle grill that I haven't used in two years. I recalled that the cooking grate was only used a few times since new, so I heavily treated it with the Members Mark oven cleaner mountainman recommended above. Sprayed it on bricks in my gravel driveway and let it sit, a few minutes at a time and then flipped and did the other side. Used a scotchbrite pad and chemical gloves to scrub it, and it looks new! This stuff is great, but it is so caustic that extreme caution is warranted.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.