Skip to main content

We've been making pork/vegetable pot stickers for some time. We love the chicken/vegetable ones we get at Costco, but there's nothing like home made. If you can't find the pot sticker wrappers (look in your grocer's produce section where they keep tofu) you can make your own, it's not that hard. Freeze these in groups of 8-12 in plastic food storage boxes (lunch sized) and take out just when you are ready to cook them off. This makes about 50 pot stickers. If you have trouble locating pot sticker wrappers you can MAKE your own using me recipe for the wrappers. The young lady in this video shows you how easy it is to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...JcgI&feature=related

The difference between fresh made and store bought is pretty much like fresh pasta versus dry in a box. I took time to search out a lot of recipes for wrappers, this is what I liked best:

3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cups ice water (very cold)

Place flour and salt in mixing bowl. Using dough hook mix on low speed, add eggs one at a time, and increase speed to medium, add ice water a little at a time - you will likely only need about 2/3 cup - the mixing bowl will look a little dry at first but after working the dough two minutes it should come together into a moist dough but now sticking pretty much to the dough hook. After working the dough a total of 3 minutes stop mixer, remove dough from mixing bowl and wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge for at least an hour, I like working with this dough while it's cold. Remove from fridge, cut dough into four sections. Take 1st section and roll into a log about an inch in diameter, cut log into 1/2 inch long slices. Work the dough like this young lady does in the video. Roll out a wrapper, fill and pinch it closed like she shows you. Repeat until they are all made. SO very good.

And when you have the filling made and it's time to assemble this is how you do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...8zuQ&feature=related
Enjoy

Mis en place

1 lb ground pork
1 1/2 cups grated cabbage, then finely minced into tiny bits
1 1/2 cups grated carrot, then finely minced into tiny bits
1 cup chopped scallion
1 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbls finely minced garlic
2 Tbls finely grated fresh ginger
2 oz rice wine vinegar
2 oz hoisin sauce
2 oz dark soy sauce
2 Tbls Mae Ploy Sweet and Hot Sauce
1 Tbls Garlic Chile Paste

_______

For frying the pot stickers:
4 Tbls Corn Oil
1 cup chicken stock

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, really mix well. Lay out a bunch of cake or pie pans liberally dusted with flour. Using the pot sticker press lay down one pot sticker wrapper centered in the open press, place a rounded teaspoon or more of the filling, brush one side of the pot sticker wrapper with water then fold the press closed and PRESS. Open and remove the pot sticker and fold the side edges over so it's sealed nicely. Place in floured pan. Repeat until you have about 6 in the pan. Place that pan in the freezer. Do another pan's worth of pot stickers and place them in the freezer. When you have your 3rd or 4th pan in the freezer the 1st pan can go into a storage container, be sure to dust a little flour over the tops, this helps them not stick together so much at preparpation time.

This old photo of mine shows you the pot sticker making setup, it's far more relaxing to do it sitting down. The filling in this photo is for LOBSTER pot stickers, that recipe is posted here.

Cooking:

Get a large heavy skillet going on high heat, when it's screaming hot add about 3 Tbls canola (or corn) oil to the pan, carefully lay the pot stickers in the hot oil and cover the pan with a well fitting lid and cook about 5 minutes, shaking the pan every minute or so to keep the underside of the pot stickers oiled. Remove lid and add 1 cup chicken stock to pan, recover and cook about 6 minutes until all stock is evaporated. Remove lid and cook uncovered about 3 minutes until underside of pot stickers is nicely crisped. Serve with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and a dash of garlic chile paste.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the compliments fellas.
Actually you need to use raw meat or seafood. Thinking about the process here's why: first you sauté (fry) the dumplings in hot oil, then add water (or chicken stock) cover and simmer until the "pasta" part of the dumpling has steam cooked and the meat/veggie filling inside is done. If you used an already cooked meat inside it would be really dry and nasty.
I love this smoking forum, and I got a lot of other type recipes that I'm trying to share. I KNOW we're dedicated smoke-aholics here, I already am, but there are days ya can't smoke meat - and times you need some variety in your menu. Hope you do try these. Making the pot stickers in your hand is not that hard. The press is cheap and easy, but I get more filling in my potstickers when I do them by hand. You make your own "pasta" pot sticker skin and you'll be very blown away how good they are...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.