Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by RobM:
after 3 hours temp only 104*F with probe. I have turned up the smoker to 300*F. Maybe it will get to 135*F in the next hour and I can lower to 140*F for the hold. I need to serve it by 8pm EST.

How did it come out? At 104 you're not far off. What I would have done is put the RR in a hot oven to get a good crust one.

One secret. Let it rest at least an hour before cutting. Trust me on this, if you do it, it will be more tender as well as the juices won't run out all over the place.
quote:
I feel honored to have Smokin Okie respond.
Rob

Well here's another one Wink

So looking at the photos, the outer edge is a little darker than the middle. That's from bumping the temp up to 300 and the outer portion cooks to a higher doneness (hence the darker, not red color).

Smoke it at 180 to 200 for HOURS and never bump the temp until the crusting step and you'll see a big difference in the internal color.

I also shoot for a finishing temp of 125. Once you slice it, the pink goes away anyway once it's exposed to air, but it will be more tender.
quote:
One more question, please discuss the crusting step. Is it first or last, and do you do it in the CS or stove?
Trying again tonight.
Rob

I smoke first, rest, then crust (reverse sear) in my gas grill (no cleanup). I heat the grill as hot as it gets, put the meat in & turn off the gas (prevents flame up). After 2 minutes flip it. Then let it rest uncovered before slicing.
If you sear first you seal the meat and get less smoke penetration.
quote:
Originally posted by BigMikeinNJ:
See, here's another time Smokin' saved someone's bacon, well prime rib in this case.

Smokin' never asked this: you ever post YouTube videos ?? Ever think of doing your 101's on YouTube ?? Just a thought...

Happy Holidays everyone !!

Stay tuned for 2014, I got something for Christmas that will help me a lot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.