Skip to main content

Received our SM025 on Friday, seasoned it yesterday at 275 (held that temp pretty steady for 4 hours) and started smoking today. Set the temp to 225 (per the "Cookshack Smoking At Home" cookbook) and placed a 5lb chicken on the top rack. Inserted the probe, added a 2oz block of wood (no idea what kind because the blocks of wood in the sample box weren't marked) and shut the door. At 2 hours the internal temp was just 129 and the smoker was fluctuating between 216 and 219. Is this normal?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Throw away the cookbook. I'd go 250 or 300 for chicken. The higher temp will make the skin a little better. You still might need to finish it on the grill to crisp up the skin.

Once you get a bit of a "crust" inside the smoker, the temps should settle down. The wood is probably hickory. Best advice is to take notes on all of your smokes. This way you know what works and what doesn't, for your particular smoker.
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Therapy:
Inserted the probe, added a 2oz block of wood (no idea what kind because the blocks of wood in the sample box weren't marked) and shut the door. At 2 hours the internal temp was just 129 and the smoker was fluctuating between 216 and 219. Is this normal?

Wood should have been marked on the box, mine was. If not, I would contact CS and ask what they thought it was and why it wasn't marked, cause your guess would be the same as mine.

Yeah, The temps seem to be close, they will fluctuate a little not a big deal. I, like Andy, will cook my chicken at 275* or better, helps render the fat from under the skin, but you can always finish it up on your grill or the oven.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.