Skip to main content

Hey Everyone,

I have two bbq restaurants that myself and a few business partners took over about 6 years ago. The company has been in business for almost 50 years and has built a very local, loyal following over those years.  As brisket has really grown in popularity over the years, we have decided that it might be time to add it to our menu. But, the problem is, is that we have no experience smoking it and would really like to put it in with our pork butts over night since they are similar cooking times (from what I have read) and it would seem efficient to do so. We do about 120 pounds raw of pork butts each night for 6.5 hours at 225 and then the unit holds once it reaches 140 for the remainder of the evening. Is this possible to do? Anyone have any experience with this and if so, what sort of procedure do you follow? I have read people smoke the brisket for a few hours and then wrap it in foil to finish. But I understand it's done once it reaches the 200-205 range and is a lot less forgiving then a big, fatty pork butt. Just not sure on proper procedure. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

From a purely residential point of view, I smoke both butts and briskets at the same temp - 225 degrees and to an internal temp of 195 degrees.  Just a rub and no wrapping during the smoke.  Two pieces of meat and I need two probes.  Once the meat has reached the desired internal temp. I remove, double foil wrap then a beach towel and into a cooler till time to serve.  States hot and moist for hours. And no, the meats never finish at the same time.  The stall is a killer, a very slow and agonizing climb upward from about 168 degrees meat temp to the finish line.     The instruction manuals that came with your smoker should be of help.  And you could always contact CookShack direct for some pointers.  Good luck.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.