Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have used pellets in both my SMO 45 and SMO 66.  These are just bigger units like your SMO 25.  I put the pellets in the wood box when I want to get a good smoke flavor on something that will not be in the smoker for a long time.  Things like steak, pork chops, or pork loin.  The pellets give you a good quick blast of smoke.  I use the smoke tube with pellets when I am cold smoking things like cheese.  You are doing a brisket.  The brisket is going to be in the smoker a long time.  This DOES NOT mean that it will have smoke on it a long time.  These cookshack smokers are very wood stingy.  That means you get a lot of smoke flavor with a little wood.  The book that came with your smoker says to use 4 to 8 ounces of wood.  When I first started using the cookshack smokers I thought that the more wood the better.  Everything that came out of the smoker smelled and tasted like creosote.  I have never used crushed up nut shells in my smokers so I do not know how they would burn or smoke.  With the cost of brisket today, I think I would opt for doing your brisket with 8 ounces of pecan wood, and find a less expensive piece of beef to try the pecan nut shells on.

Good thought.  However I have the bit in my teeth and I am itching to try it.  The recipe is from Smoking Joes BBQ.  Of course he uses a pellet smoker.  It intrigued me, so I ordered some Everything Bagel spice and a bag of pecan shells.  Went to Costco and came away with a 16 lb. brisket.  Will probably cut it in half and try the pellets in my Cookshack.  Will post results.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.