Skip to main content

Hi Chet here, I have a bunch of hams brining and was wondering if they should be cold smoked?
and if so can I cold smoke with my 105 ?
Or what is the best way to smoke these hams in my cookshack 105.. Its on my porch and will be cold out there since I live in the "great Northeast" at the moment. any help would be appreaciated. thanks Chet
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If you already have the curing process down so that the pork is safe, then the issue is keeping the temp down in the 105 to cold smoking temp.

I'm not sure what model you have, but do you know what the lowest temp it will go?

Also, keep in mind, wood chunks won't ignite below a certain temp so you'll have to use small chips, pellets or sawdust to create the smoke.

Do what tom suggests a search on cold smoking. Some people have constructed a box above the smoker so that the heat stays in the smoker but the smoke rises up into the box. You have to keep the box above the vent so air flow will work.
I checked for the lowest temp that my 105 cookshack goes to and its 100 deg. I'm not sure if I'd be better off just smoking it? as in cooking.I did not use prauge powder I don't agree with this, whats the sense of cooking something fresh then adding something bad. I only use sea salt and sugar, I hope thats OK I'll know whaen I take it out of the brine tomorrow I guess. I think I shouls have injected the hams with the brine though ?
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
If you already have the curing process down so that the pork is safe, then the issue is keeping the temp down in the 105 to cold smoking temp.

I'm not sure what model you have, but do you know what the lowest temp it will go?

Also, keep in mind, wood chunks won't ignite below a certain temp so you'll have to use small chips, pellets or sawdust to create the smoke.

Do what tom suggests a search on cold smoking. Some people have constructed a box above the smoker so that the heat stays in the smoker but the smoke rises up into the box. You have to keep the box above the vent so air flow will work.

thanks smokinOkie I have thought of doing that even with a cardbord box. the 105 goes down to 100 degs.
Last edited by Former Member
Well I did the hams,Looks like I still need some work on the brining, they didn't taste much like ham, more like smoked pork roast.
I really hate to use nitrates, but people today are looking for a pink colored ham.
I brined them for two weeks but the temp may have gotten too cold ? in which case the brining stops..oh well back to the drawing board.
Maybe I'll try dry curing next time ???
Bad news then chet. Smoke has Nitrates/Nitrites in it. And I don't think calling it "poison" is accurate either. I certainly understand wanting to control what you eat, and you'll do that by curing/smoking your own hams. NOTHING beats one done at home under your own control.

That's why you get a smoke ring, the nitrities "cure" the outer portion of the meat.
Thank's Smokie,you definatly know more about BBQ and smoking than I, it's fun and a learning experience for sure. I'm glad I have guys like you out there to rely on. So another words if I cold smoke I don't need to brine or cure the hams prior to smoking ?? I like to use non iodized salt thats why I use eiterh sea salt ( which I get cheap at a orential store) or Kosher
but yea salt is pretty much salt except for the iodine,,,,thank's again

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.