Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ahhhhh, the meories of smoked carp......

Its been over 27 years since I've had it, but I still remember my Grandpa bringing it out of the frige and sharing with us. He had a friend smoke them for him.

Until this post I'd forgotten about it. It was certainly before I was even thinking about boiling water much less queing!

If I were to go out and catch some carp this weekend here is how I'd go about smoking them based on my experience with Trout:

After filleting the fish and taking out the mud vain I'd soak it in either plain table salt water or buttermilk overnight.

The next morning I'd make a brine. There are several fish brines listed in the archives. I use one of brown sugar, koshar salt, black peppercorns, garlic cloves, and bay leaves. I can't give the amounts right now, I don't have the recipe handy. I'd brine for 4- 6 hours.

Rinse thouroughly and let dry to form a pelicle as with trout & salmon.

I'd smoke using 1-2 ozs. of hickory, apple, or cherry at a t-stat setting of 170 degrees.

Since carp will more times than not be thicker than the trout I do, I'm guessing it take about 2- 2 1/2 hours till the fish flaked and was done.

Now that I told you what I'd try I'm gonna go read the link bbqbull posted to see how far off base I am.

Lynchburg.......thanks for jarring my childhood memories.

GLH, don't knock it till ya've tried it. I'm betting I could get ya to sit up all night drinking beer and eatin smoked carp while we pretended to tend the CookShacks full of normal meat that the women & chillun folk would eat.
Just my opinion here but... "No, No, No!" on the carp! They are a fun fish to catch (fight like heck) but eating them...? No way! Too many memories here of fishing the Rouge river just outside of Detroit. Nasty! Carp have to be one of the ugliest fish God ever created (I know, what's that got to do with taste Wink)! And as GLH says, they stink!

I agree on the "don't knock it till you try it," but, "thank you, no," I will pass on any kind of carp.

Glad you enjoy it! Big Grin
O.K. from an old[sorta] river rat. Carp smoked or fried is GREAT!!!! Pigs are ugly and try telling me the don't smell. I don't know when the last time you were at a cow lot but MAN! Scale the fish fillet and cut out the mud vien. That is the really dark meat that runs down the center of the fillet. Then score in 1/8 scores. prepare as desired and you can't find any better. The only people who turn up their nose are those who havn't tried it!
It's been a LOOOOOOONG time ago, but as I recall "my pappy" told me you can't filet a carp. It has bones hiding everywhere.

"Triple D" recently had a restaurant serving deep fried carp that had been scored at narrow intervals (as Bo2 said). Guy 'said' it was terrific, but we know he lies....sometimes.

A Croatian woman I know was very disappointed she couldn't find carp to make a traditional dish at Christmas time. I shoulda listened, but I didn't even Wanna know how she cooked it...just in case I looked remotely interested, ya know?!

I'm now spooked over tilapia after finding out the s*&% that THEY eat!! ...and I mean that literally.
Hey Thousand Oakie... I've read that apparently Tilapia thrive in the Salton Sea... kinda does make you wonder!

As for the carp, when I was a kid we lived in a neighborhood that had some small ponds. One summer they decided to drain the pond to dredge it. I'm not sure how it all came about, but there were bunches of the local Vietnamese population that showed up to cart away all of these huge carp. So, you might want to look to some Vietnamese recipes for ideas on how to handle this fish. Just a thought.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.