Skip to main content

I'm contemplating the purchase of a good and sturdy electric smoker mainly for all the advantages it offers over an offset with regards to maintaining proper temperature. My question is, some say the addition of a couple of charcoal briquetts to the smoke box will help to generate a smoke ring on meat products due to nitrites released by combustion. Does anyone on the forum have any insight to whether that is true? I also read somewhere, perhaps Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn's forum that meats cooked in electric smokers, specifically brisket, pb's, and ribs are not as flavorful as wood fired grills. Is the difference very notieable or just subtle? I have a ton of questions about this subject and I hope some of you veteran "smokers" can steer me in the right direction. I have to decide on either the SM066 or a Smokin Tex 1500 in the next two weeks. Yikes! Help!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have used charcoal briquettes in my Cookshack, but found that it never really made much of a difference for adding a smoke ring. As far as flavor, I have smoked in everything from a wood-fired offset smoker to a cheap electric water pan bullet. The Cookshack by far delivers the most consistent, flavorful, and nearly fool proof results.
Briquettes will add a slight SR but why bother? You can't taste a smoke ring. An application of Morton Tender Quick will provide a smoke ring if you REALLY need to have one.

I own a SM066 and took a peek at the Smokin Tex 1500. There's no mention of 800 o insulation. There's no HOLD option, no probe option. The Amerique has a higher heat setting. IMHO the Amerique purchase is a no brainer.
I agree with BluesBQ: Been smoking for 40 years on every available type of smoker.I have had an Amerique for awhile now and it produces as good of smoked meats as I have ever done.

Keep in mind you can buy many kinds of wood for your flavor.If you want light smoke, use a little wood, for heavier smokes use more wood.

The statement that an electric won't produce the quality is BS.

Cookshacks are made a lot better than and much more solid than any of their competition.

Do not buy the SmokinTex, you will be sorry in the long run!
Found this to be an interesting post.We get many from cooks ,looking to touch upon critiques from experienced cooks with their own experienced viewpoints/opinions.

First ,I had to google "Meathead" and his forum and find his level of bbq cooking expertise and wide range of experience on the range of smoke style cookers.

It appears he is from the edge of Lake Michigan and certainly a longterm hotbed of fine steak and chop houses,reknown deep dish pizza,some of the finest European sausage makers,Chicago wet beef sandwiches,and other products that I adore.

Apparently,he has consumed a great deal of wine over a period of years and does write about same.He does post a number of articles that his expertise causes him to find interesting.

Well,the actually, experienced cooks above have given actually, appropriate answers that should help you in your quest.

I ,on the other hand,have now heard of Meathead and can seek him out-when his level of expertise in BBQ cooking might actually be called for.

Let us know if we can help in the future.,
Gentlemen,

All very sage advice. My meter pegs closer to the SM066 by the hour. The cost is a tad hefty but I have a firm belief that the benefits will ultimately outweigh the cost.

I mention the smoke ring only because of familiarity with the same when I cook low and slow on my charbroil offset. I can produce decent ribs, and pb's but my luck has not been as good with briskets.

In any event, thanks to you all for your quick responses to my queries. Trust, I shall return often for advice as I begin this great adventure with Cookshack. I've got a good feeling about this...
Meathead is apparently a fairly accomplished at BBQ and grilling; he at least know how to manage a nice web site with lots of data. He is also openly admittedly biased against any electric smoker. Therefore one should take his critque of electric smokers with a grain of salt. He clearly has no experience with them so how can he provide a fair or accurate review.
A quick note would be that Donna's family developed the original CS over a half century ago as a brisket cooker.It was one of the best then and remains so,now.

We run into the standard models with a couple decades on them,used daily,and they never miss a lick.

The quality is tops,the design simple,and the parts available almost anywhere.The initial cost will seem minimal,over the many years of dependable service.

The downside is,you work harder on one brisket,or butt on your charbroiler offset than probably all you'll cook combined on your CS.

You may have to develop another hobby,just to kill the time. Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.