Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Actually as I have someone who wants to take it commercial I can't post the exact recipe.

BUT.

Just take the normal chex mix recipe and instead of adding liquid smoke, put it in the smoker, as hot as it will go.

Put in several shallow pans and toss frequently until dry. DON'T let any butter (if it's in your recipe) burn. That's bad.

Russ
my wife always makes "texas trash" at her family get togethers. What she puts in it is a closely guarded family secret. I do know there is bacon grease, because I get BLT's every time she makes it. Never thought about the smoking part. Would work in the FE. I would have to get involved in the process and maybe find out what she is doing.
It has all that stuff in it and is still crunchy. Like I said , I don't really know what all she puts in it. I know there is Tobasco, I think there might be a little cayenne, but I don't know.

Didn' get any this past Christmas. She went home with me to "West by God" and my Dad is doing the Ornish thing now. He used to devour the stuff, so she didn't want him to have the temptation.

Next time to get it will be this July. Gonna try to talk her into doing it on my FE. Will be able to help a little more then with the ingredients.
You can take pretty much ANY of those recipes and smoke them. Look for the ones that have "liquid smoke" in them and just delete that ingredient.

I'm not sure how good this works in the smaller CS's. I did it in a 150 many times and it worked. I just opened the door a lot to let steam out.

I put it in shallow pans and stir it FREQUENTLY so that any butter/bacon/grease doesn't burn on the bottom.
Made this yesterday and it came out pretty good

1 C bacon grease
1 C oleo
3 T tabasco sauce
3 T worchestshire ? sauce
2 T accent
1 1/2 T garlic salt
1 box each rice, wheat corn chex
2 cans mixed nuts
1 bag pretzels

Melt the oleo, add b. grease, accent, T. sauce, W. sauce and mix it all together.

Put all the nuts, pretzels, chex.in a disposable full size alum. pan and pour the wet stuff over it. Mix thouroughly.

Put in FEC at 250 degrees for 1 hr. Mix ingredients every 15 minutes. I used 2 pans, transferring the mix from one to the other to help with the mixing.
To the best of my knowledge I have never had any with L.S. So I can't compare it.

This came out tasting good. My wife said it had a little bit different taste (smoke) from hers. She also said it was better. But, maybe she was trying to get out of making it in the future.

I was watching a college b-ball game of much regional interest at that time so I wasn't paying that much attention to it during the making. I did notice the FE seemed to be hitting the smoke cycle when I had it out of the Smoker and was mixing it a couple of times.

Next time I think I would put it on the smoke setting for maybe 30 min, mix it up and go from there. Or, maybe make it when I've done a butt and sub the drippings from the butt for bacon grease.
I have a smokette and I guess it would be hard to keep it from getting too much moisture. since it would only take a couple hours I guess you would just open the door every 15 min to stir and that would let out the moisture??
I had never read or heard of LS in chex mix wither. Course I grew up back East
Freebird.

"liquid smoke" did I say LS, well that was in the old secret family recipe Frowner

On the FE, if the dial is set above 180, every time you open the door it will start a cycle to bring the heat back up. One recommendation if needed is to turn the dial down to 180 before you open the door, stir, close the dial and turn the dial back up.

One of the original recipes for CM has Liquid Smoke. The recipe card in my mom's recipe file shows it. Maybe they removed it years later, but I still see it now and then.

The challenge in the smoker is to give it enough smoke to add to the taste, but you have to let the moisture get out of the chex mix for it to dry. Just takes a while
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
[qb]
The challenge in the smoker is to give it enough smoke to add to the taste, but you have to let the moisture get out of the chex mix for it to dry. Just takes a while [/qb]
Once you reach the desired smoke level for taste, wouldn't it be easy enough to switch the pan to a low oven with the door cracked for a few minutes to get the moisture out.
Don't know DLS, haven't tried it like that.

When you first mix them up, they are basically soggy, so you have to find the right balance of heat and smoke.

That's why it's not easy for everyone.

Really critical if you use a recipe with butter or something that burns, or sugar in the chex mix (some of the cereal).

But when it comes out smokey and dry, it's worth the effort.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.