Skip to main content

Just got my new Charbroiler and I am planning on marinated boneless, skinless chicken breast for a small gathering as an alternative to the eight PB's I am doing in the FEC 100. Looking for some help on cooking temps and process. Do I try and sear some grill marks first on the breast and then reduce to a lower temp for cooking through or just broil them on medium straight through. These are marinated overnight in Half Caribbean Jerk and half Wishbone Italian.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Did 9 breast today that I marinated overnight. Cooked the flat side of the breast first till it would release from the grate without much tearing the angled the top side and then rotated it for a x pattern. The marinade really helped keep them moist and juicy. Cooking them on low seemed to be the best temp. They turned out great, but you are right you really have to watch them as they go from done to over done really quick. The night before we had some thick rib eyes as are first cook. Fantastic!! The char on the meat really set of the flavor just like in a fine steak house. Cooked those at medium setting and did sweet yellow corn in the husk (turning them often) on high on the other side. Best corn on the cob ever,no butter or salt after cooking.the corn came of the same time as the rib eyes. This is a 48 inch demo? unit I bought when I was at the last school in Ponca.
For me, marinades only flavor the outside. It just can't penetrate very far.

If I'm doing boneless/skinless I always brine (why wouldn't I as author of brining 101)

Yup, love them steaks on a CB. Won't be paying to eat steaks out very often anymore.

Appreciate the report. Not enough CB owners posting. Congrats on the 48. The 36 I have is big enough as is.

Russ
I have always cooked with the lid open. For the small wedding party I mentioned we did 25 Chicken breast on the CB and six pounds of hot links. Turned out great, but you have to watch them even on low. Very impressive unit. I also did 11 PB's on my FEC 100 and as usual they were a real hit. My first large cook and it all went well with other sides. For a first timer at something this large I bought way too much food but since the event was 60 miles from the nearest town I did not want to run out. You learn as you go. As far as the beer goes this is ranch country and you can never buy too much of that here.
Forgot to mention we had a small gathering the night befor and did 25 steaks and 12 ears of corn. The CB was a real hit with everyone watching how well it preformed. Then we loaded it into the trailer and took it to the mountain ranch for the wedding cook. The PB's were started and finished at the main house and FTC and taken up to join the CB in the mountains.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
For me, marinades only flavor the outside. It just can't penetrate very far.

If I'm doing boneless/skinless I always brine (why wouldn't I as author of brining 101)

Yup, love them steaks on a CB. Won't be paying to eat steaks out very often anymore.

Appreciate the report. Not enough CB owners posting. Congrats on the 48. The 36 I have is big enough as is.

Russ
Is there any place in the south to see a CB in action and/or taste something cooked on one? Any restaurant using one close to Alabama?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.