Skip to main content

I'm going to be smokin' some chicken thighs on my SM025 this weekend. I've read several forums on the subject and the biggest "issue" is the rubbery skin. From reading the forums, I realize that you can finish the thighs in the oven or on the grill to crisp up the skin if needed.

My plan is to marinate the thighs in Paul Newman's Olive oil and Vinegar dressing, then rub with Cookshack Chicken rub. I'm planning on using 2 oz apple wood in the smoker.

My questions:
The SM025 can get up to 300 degrees. Is it easier to get crispy skins on this model vs. older models that only went up to 250 degrees? I was thinking about smoking the thighs at 225 until done then bump the temp to 300 to crisp the skins.

Or would it be best to smoke the thighs at 300 the entire time? Will the thighs be as tender and smokey if cooked this way?

I don't mind finishing the thighs in the oven or on the grill if that's the best way to do so, but I was hoping to cut out that step if it was possible with the SM025.

I'll post the results and pics after the smoke this weekend. Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by RockySmoke:
I'm going to be smokin' some chicken thighs on my SM025 this weekend. I've read several forums on the subject and the biggest "issue" is the rubbery skin. From reading the forums, I realize that you can finish the thighs in the oven or on the grill to crisp up the skin if needed.

My plan is to marinate the thighs in Paul Newman's Olive oil and Vinegar dressing, then rub with Cookshack Chicken rub. I'm planning on using 2 oz apple wood in the smoker.

My questions:
The SM025 can get up to 300 degrees. Is it easier to get crispy skins on this model vs. older models that only went up to 250 degrees? I was thinking about smoking the thighs at 225 until done then bump the temp to 300 to crisp the skins.

Or would it be best to smoke the thighs at 300 the entire time? Will the thighs be as tender and smokey if cooked this way?

I don't mind finishing the thighs in the oven or on the grill if that's the best way to do so, but I was hoping to cut out that step if it was possible with the SM025.

I'll post the results and pics after the smoke this weekend. Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

I just bought a couple packages of thighs myself. Please document your cook so I'll have some idea of how to do them!

SmokinMAINEiac
Last edited by smokinmaineiac
quote:

My questions:

If there was a rock solid answer to your question(s) you could make beau coup dollars selling it to competition cooks Smiler

Chicken thighs cook in a relatively short time. Low n slow (225)in a smoker produces smoke flavor and rubbery skin. Hot and fast will produce less smoke but more tender skin. I've yet to produce crispy skin via a smoker. I've come close grilling them over indirect cowboy charcoal with wood chips. Sear 'em quickly over high heat, bank them off to get proper temp and finish them quickly over direct coals. Sauce them JUST before plating them.

I've only judged one comp as a KCBS judge and the turn-in that got my highest score hit the mark right on the nose as per tender skin and smokey meat. The skin wasn't crisp but it came away clean with a bite and was as tender as the perfectly cooked thigh meat.
Have to agree with MaxQue, I can never get bite through skin out of my 020, even at 300*...but find that it does make a nicer looking thigh or I should say skin.

I've judged a few more comps and have decided that chicken should be labeled as a grilling meat not a smoked meat,oh well! "It is what it is", I knew that saying would come in handy Smokin', THANKS.

A person doesn't make the rules, he just has to play by the rules made. I have come to smoke my thighs on the grill, with a couple pieces of wood. Sure wish I had a FEC 100, maybe I could smoke them with a fine smoker such as that and get bite through skin.
So, today is the day! Purchased a pack of thighs from Costco. I marinated 9 thighs in Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing for 8 hours. I then let the thighs drain on a wire cooling rack set inside a pan. I applied some Cookshack Spicy Chicken rub to both sides of he thighs, and under the skin.

I used 2 oz Apple, and the smoker was set to 250. I put the chicken in when the smoker was at 200.

The thighs reached 175 in 45 minutes! All thighs were double checked with a thermapen and all were at 170-175. I was hoping they would take longer than that because we're not supposed to eat for another 2 hours! Oh well - I bumped the temp to 300 and let them go for another 10-15 minutes.

I suppose I'll need to FTC to keep em hot. Is that OK with Chicken?

I'll post pics soon.
I've experimented with chicken thighs every which way in my SM025. So far what works best for me is 225 degrees with 1-2 oz. of whatever wood until I get 160-165 internal temperature. I use one of those remote probes. It takes anywhere from 1.25 to 1.75 hours depending on size. 10 minutes or so before I plan to serve them they go skin side down on a really hot grill to crisp up the skin. I FTC them if there'll be a time lag between smoking and grilling. It only takes 2-4 minutes on the grill for the skin to get the right crispiness. I like it when the dripping fat ignites. It makes some really attractive charring. But don't let them sit over the flames for too long, otherwise they'll get a burnt flavor. Then a minute or 2 on the other side just to get the char marks finishes them off. I use chicken thighs from Costco or my local supermarket (Safeway).
Here's my final report on the chicken (picture attached below)....

The thighs were quite tasty - the apple smoke flavor was just right. Despite bumping the smoker to 300 degrees the skins were still rubbery but not a big deal, because we just removed them. I'll definitely put 'em on the grill to finish next time. I was hoping to get a rotiserie type of skin (not crispy, but juicy with a good clean bite). My guess is that it takes a much longer cook time to achieve that than what is needed for thighs.

MaxQue, the thighs were very tasty, but I did feel they were a little dry. I was expecting the meat to pull off easy and clean like chicken I've had from good BBQ joints. A couple of things I noticed upon unpacking the Costco thighs was that they were small and a lot leaner than thighs I'm used to buying. It probably would have been better to cook them at 200 rather than at my temp of 250 or even 225. Bumping the temp to 300 at the end and opening the door more than I should have probably didn't help things either. So, that's a long answer to your question. I'll probably purchase my thighs elsewhere next time. I'd be interested to hear your experiences and where you purchase your thighs.

Bododio, thanks for the tip!

All in all I was pleased with the flavor and will be doing it again for tailgating at the Navy-Air Force football game! Next week it'll be my first shot at ribs on the SM025!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Chickenthighs
quote:
Dang, those look delicious! Where did you get those thighs?

Man, they were great! Your's looked pretty darn tasty too! I bought them at a Hannaford Bros supermarket (aka Sweet Bay in the South). Just plain ol'supermarket chicken thighs. Maybe next time I'll have the patience to crisp them up on the gas grill.

The rub is very good. Do a search for "chikky" and make up a batch and try it...we love it.

SmokinMAINEiac
Last edited by smokinmaineiac
quote:
Pre-heated my SM025 to 300*. Rubbed chicken thighs with Chef Paul's Chikky Rub, put 2.1oz apple wood in the wood box, inserted the probe, closed the door, pulled 'em at 175* 45 min to an hour later

Well, I smoked up a few chicken thighs again last night. Pre-heated to 300*, used an ounce of maple this time. I put the chicken on the lower rack (my lovely new SS grill). Pulled at 177* and hour later. They were excellent! This was my first smoke with sugar maple. I recognized the taste from a BBQ joint I eat at once in a while in nothern Maine (probably the one and only BBQ joint in nothern Maine). Sugar maple is distinct, and I don't think I'd use it for everything I smoke, but it was good with the chicken.

If you haven't tried the chikky rub, you don't know what you are missing.

Sorry, no photos this time...was too hungry!

SmokinMAINEiac
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
I think this will be OK. If I read it correctly, SmokinMAINiac smoked at 300* and used this rub.

Ya, at 300* you won't burn the skin, but as cal said, if you were to finish it off on a gas grill you'd have to watch it ,as we all know from experience, I'm sure.

I wish the SM025 would go to 325* or so to fully melt the sugar in the rub and crisp the skin.

If you like chicken thighs, this is a great rub and method, IMO.

Let me know how your thighs come out Pags?

SmokinMAINEiac
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinMAINEiac:

I wish the SM025 would go to 325* or so to fully melt the sugar in the rub and crisp the skin.

SmokinMAINEiac

Not sure I agree with that. I get plenty of great turkey at 275, even 300. 325 isn't some magic temp for melting sugars.

I get great crisp skin at 275.

Could it be the type of sugar or amount of rub you're putting on?

One point to consider. The CS are a HUMID smoker and as such, the skin may not crisp up as quickly as it would in a dryer smoker. Open up the door and dump some humidity might help.
quote:
This poultry rub from Paul Kirk...

Chef Paul's Chikky rub....

Well, I've been going back and forth trying to figure out what what rub I was going to use for my very first smoke this weekend in my new smoker....I think I just found it, this sounds like a winner.
quote:
Not sure I agree with that. I get plenty of great turkey at 275, even 300. 325 isn't some magic temp for melting sugars.

I get great crisp skin at 275.

Could it be the type of sugar or amount of rub you're putting on?

One point to consider. The CS are a HUMID smoker and as such, the skin may not crisp up as quickly as it would in a dryer smoker. Open up the door and dump some humidity might help.

I've got to learn the "open the door to dump the mositure technique" I guess. What kind of sugar should I be using?

SmokinMAINEiac
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
What kind of sugar should I be using?

SmokinMAINEiac

To me, if you're cooking over 300, then some sugars "might" burn, really depends on condition.

Go for flavor in your sugar. If you like white, use that. Brown is good for a little molasses. Turbinado is basically dry/chunk brown sugar holds up to heat better. I use Brownulated sugar, but it's hard to find in the stores. It's dried brown sugar in smaller granules than Turbinado. You can use a coffee mill to make turbinado smaller if you want.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.