Skip to main content

Went looking for the Chris Lilly method and found his (or one of his) method described as below. I used to do something similar - smoke in the bullet first, then wrap in foil and bake, then chill 24 hrs and grill. It was a PITA but they were good.

I wonder if anyone does this sort of elaborate method in a CS and if it makes a difference?

quote:

Cooking Live:Competition Bar-B-Q Ribs Recipe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have never tried it, but the below Cooking Live guest recipe looks interesting:

"Competition Bar-B-Q Ribs
Recipe courtesy Chris Lilly

4 slabs pork loin back ribs

First Stage Dry Rub:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
2 tablespoons onion salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
1 teaspoon cumin

Second Stage:
1/2 cup apple juice per slab
1/2 cup grape juice per slab

Third Stage:
3/4 cup First Stage rub
1/4 cup brown sugar

Finishing Glaze:
1 1/2 cup Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce or your favorite red sauce
1/2 cup honey

Raw Preparation: Place slab of ribs bone side down on table. Slide knife under the membrane and against the end bone to separate the 2. With a dry paper towel, grasp the edge of the thin membrane and pull. The entire membrane should separate from the rib.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Combine First Stage rub and mix well. Generously apply rub onto the front and back sides of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub will adhere. Place ribs meat-side up on a broiler pan and bake for 2 1/4 hours.

Remove ribs from oven. Place each rib meat-side down on its own doubled aluminum foil square. Foil should be large enough to completely wrap rib. Mix the Second Stage juices. Pour 1 cup of liquid over each rib. At the same time wrap and seal each rib tight. Return to the oven for 1 hour.

Remove wrapped ribs from oven. Remove from foil and apply a medium coat of the Third Stage rub to the meat-side of the ribs. Place uncovered in the oven meat-side up for 30 minutes.

Remove ribs from oven and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. Brush finishing glaze on both sides of ribs. Place ribs in oven for 10 minutes, or until sauce caramelizes.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours 25 minutes
Episode #: CL9699"

(Courtesy Sarah Moulton).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Place ribs meat-side up on a broiler pan and bake for 2 1/4 hours.

I know Chris, and Chris doesn't do them in a broiler/oven. For those of you who don't know him, he's from Big Bob Gibson's and they win GC every year at Memphis in May, but they win with pork shoulder.

This is the method he uses in his video, but I'm not a fan of the 2nd stage of cooking them in foil, boiling in the fruit juice. It's a method that works well, I think of it as a good short cut if you can't cook ribs well. Try it yourself and let us know what you think.
Ribs are extremely simple. Use your favorite dry rub and set it at 275. I like to lay them flat but you don't want to fill it up to where there isn't any ciculation betweeen the shelves. If you have alot of them to do there is a new rib rack thats available from cookshack. Baby backs will ussually take 2 1/2- 3 hrs and spares about 4 hrs. I have tried lower temps but the best results are at 275. To me the rub should be a sugar based rub for ribs and I never season any longer then 30 minuetes before cooking. If you do season overnite you will tast a distinctive differance. To me they get like a bologna taste to them if you do. I like to glaze them the last 10 minutes or so before i take them off. It makes the sauce really stick to the ribs.
Yes that is the method. The reason he is using an oven in this one was he was cooking on Sara Moltens tv show. I do not use his rub I use another kind.
As far as using foil goes...well what can I say. It worked for me in MIM ( several 1stand 2nd against 144 teams in Viana), 1st in ribs in 2002 in FBA for the year, top 5 last year in FBA. Now that being said I do not use foil or juice when I cook at home, I really don't like them that way. In contests I cook for the judges, not for my family. One thing I've learned is there is on one right way to BBQ. There are tons of ways to cook good BBQ.
Bill
Ocala Bill, you're just down the road from me. If you go by Micanopy, stop at my brother's store, Pearl Country Store (right on 441), and tell me what you think of the Que they're cranking out. Popular joint. Get cyclists and weekend duck hunters.

Ed Maurin, interesting comment of yours. Contradicts a lot of what you see in print (30 min rub; 270* cook temp) but makes sense. I'll try it.
Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.