Skip to main content

$46.00 for the baffle (plus shipping) seems a little steep to me, is it really worth it? I saw one of the recipes for Lox in the CS website and this one does not use it (just place the fish in top rack, cook at 100 F for 20 min and turn off for 1 hr. It seems to me that the baffle just dissipates heat and holds an ice tray. Would a cookie sheet do the same?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I am not planning to smoke cheese (yet) just fish. So right now I am doing my first Lox. I wrapped one of the racks with heavy duty foil and placed on it, a large tray with ice. Turned the smoker to 100 F placed the fish in. The woodbox has one handfull of cherry wood chipsAfter 10 min some smoke and temp where the fish is is at 68F, after 15 min, more smoke and temp is at 73F. At 20 min the temp went to 78F, I turned it of and left the door closed for 1 hr as the recipe states.
Used my cold smoke baffle to smoke some cheddar cheese on Saturday. Did just as the directions stated on the baffle and research from these forums. It worked great...Did two cycles of 15 minutes on and then shut down for 1 hour. I pre-cooled my smokette for about 1 hour prior to start with large pan of ice. The hottest my smoker got up to was 77 degrees. That's pretty good considering it was about mid 60's outside. Used about 3-4 oz of hickory. After sampling the cheese today I realize that this yielded a little too much smokey flavor for my taste. I will give it another shot tomorrow with a smaller quantity of apple wood to hopefully lessen the bitter smoke taste. I will also try some pepper jack and swiss. I am trying to perfect this prior to Christmas, so I can use the foodsaver and create some wonderful office and family gifts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.