Skip to main content

Has anyone made thier own baffle for cold smoking. I just can't see spending the money for something I might use once or twice a year with cheese.

I have some 1/8" aluminum for a top plate and I can weld on a bottom for an air chamber so the top does not get too hot. I don't forsee this thing getting too hot if you only leave it on for 20 min and then shut off for the rest of the smoking. Especialy when you have a tray of ice on top too.

Any ideas??

Steve
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok I do see what you are saying but I will add one note on this.

I called Cookshack and they wanted $80.00 for the baffle. I called the dealer here in MN that handles Cookshack and they were asking $59.00. So if we are talking fair wouldn't you think Cookshack would sell for a fair price.

I do have the baffle on order from the dealer here

Not trying to cause any arguments here at all but I wanted to make something this week as I have a friend coming into town that wants to smoke some cheese. I was in a rush to have something we could use while he was here.

I see nothing wrong with asking the question. Cookshack sells all kinds of rubs and folks here give out recipies for their homemade rubs. Is this not the same senario???
SLK:

Cookshack sells at retail and will not undersell their dealers. That is why they have outstanding dealers, because of that respect.

If you want to save a few bucks, buy it from the dealer!

You have a first class smoker from Cookshack, trying to save a few bucks by making your own instead of geting the real baffle does not seem logical to me.
I see no problem asking a simple question, such as this, but one wants to remember that some think that it is not a good idea to bite the hand that feeds you. I guess I would be in this camp along with CS. Seems that they have the same thinking when to comes to respecting their business partners.

Heck I see no problem making a makeshift smoking baffle, if a person can use their head to THINK about what they are doing...some just like to tinker with things. I just can't see how it would ever be better/easier than what CS designed for the job, but to each his own!
If you have issue with the price offered, then call Cookshack direct. They do still make money, and like many items out there, when you buy direct you sometimes pay more than you do if you buy from distributors (uh, Amazon) so CS still makes money.

If you came in an asked for a knockoff recipe of CS rubs, I would tell you the same thing. But other rubs, other sauces are different.
slk, you do a little google research and you find you can build a baffle for pennys.I light a couple of coals and add sawdust, place in the wood box, never turning the smoker on. As for "biting the hand that feeds you" remember you are the one spending the money, therefore you are the hand feeding them.Don't fret offending cook shack, they don't monitor the form, or as some would have you believe.Remember that many of the replies here are from ex employees and team members backed by cook shack.
quote:
Originally posted by vesteroid:
Post like this are exactly why I stopped coming to this forum with any regularity....You must be kidding if you believe for one second this question damaged cs in any way

Oh take a deep breath and relaxit's not that bad IS IT?

I thought about it a while and didn't know what you meant.

By this post did you mean the first poster trying to build something instead of buying

or the responses?

Either way,

It's BBQ!!!

This forum isn't that complicated. Keep it fun and keep it friendly.

We're not going to discuss the issue back and forth, that's NOT the spirit of the forum.

ANYONE who has issue with the site, procedures or ANY other issue, please contact me or CS direct.

CS owners, leaders, etc do not monitor the forum that's why you need to contact them or me direct.

Public bickering 100% violates the spirit of this forum and has no place. There are plenty of other forums out there that love to throw mud, go join one of those.

They're not fun, that's why I don't visit those forums.

We here about fun, BBQ and helping others cook. If you'd been here more often, you'd see that.

and Head Cheerleader Big Grin
Ok guys I made one identical to the CS. Double wall and all. I don't think anyone could tell it is not CS brand. I do have the ability to build these. I just needed one quick and after starting the project I decided to build it to exact specs.

Lets get away from all of the discussion about is making one right or wrong.......

My cheese came out great. I smoked some string cheese and some wheel cheese. I am finding out that some cheese takes smoke better than others.

What I did was to plane down some apple wood and use the chips. I started the smoker for 10 min at 200* with out anything in it. I inserted the baffle, put a tray of ice on top. Put the cheese in. About 15 min has gone by now and it is smoking good. Turned the smoker off. Smoked it for 45 min. It came out great, and our guest from out of town enjoyed it imensley

Thanks
Steve

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.