Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had a post here last week for a couple of days about my "new cold smoker" but it evidently didn't generate enough interest to remain an active topic so it was moved to the "open forum". In the past I have only cold smoked pork loins to make ham (almost Canadian bacon), my latest attempt was jerky which turned out great, and now I'm going to take on the challenge of sausage, salami, etc. Although I have not tried it yet, I'm sure salmon would come out great too.
CB
Cold Smoking is when you don't want to "cook" whatever you're smoking. There is a whole world of cold smokers out there, just type in a search on google and you'll see a lot.

the most common are cheeses, hams, bacons, fish (lox) and just about everything you buy in the market labeled "smoked" that's not fully cooked. Think "smokehouse" and that's cold smoking. When the ham is smoked that way, it's not cooked, and it can take two weeks to smoke, but done right...it's magic.

It's also very difficult, because you have to keep the temp below 90 to 120 and keep the food from developing bacteria, that's why most food done that way, for long periods, will be cured in some fashion.

Yes, CB, normally the Owner's Forum is to ask how to operate the smoker, and if there aren't many replies, I will move them to generate more over in the Open forum. Always hate seeing those "0" next to # of replies.

I own  CS SM066 AmeriQue.  I've made lox very successfully in the smoker as well as an Emson indoor smoker.  My grandsons have taken quite a liking to Trader Joe's tuna lox and I want to replicate it for them by curing or brining, then cold smoking 2 1/2" ahi tuna steaks. Any advice on how to treat the tuna compared to salmon, both in the length of the cure or brine, and the length smoking time?  Thanks for the advice.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.