Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd stagger start them. Give them about an hour for each 3 lbs. of extra weight. I base this on my last 9 pounder taking 3 hrs getting to 125*. I did cook at 190* for 1.5 hrs, then 225* for 1.5 hrs. Just before serving, throw them into a 450* preheated oven for 6 minutes or so to crisp up the bark. Keep an eye on them while in the oven.

As they come out of the smoker, place them in double heavy duty foil, wrap in a towel and throw them into a cooler till you're ready to throw them in the oven. They'll stay hot for several hours in the cooler and be ready at the same time when you need them. If you're going to cooler them for any length of time, you may want to take them out of the smoker several degrees earlier than you like cause they'll pick up a few while resting.
Thanks Pags. So if start the largest at 10:00AM @ 225º and the other 2 at 11:30 I should be ok? I will have a probe in each and was going to pull them at 125º, then cooler them and as you suggest, hit them with the 450º heat 30 minutes before carving.

Want to be able to serve at 6:00 pm. Sound OK??
It's not the weight of them that will make a difference in cook time, but the difference in thickness...or at least that's what I would reason. That's believing they cook from the outside in and the length won't have anything to do with the cook time.

I got to where I do them in the oven at 550* for 10 minutes to sear, after they have rested in the cooler.
I agree with Cal here. Most PR Roast are fairly close in thickness or circumference; and some are longer than others. The thickness will determine the cook time more than the length. Personally I'd start them all at the same time if they are actually fairly close to the same thickness. Opening the smoker to add in stages would actually prolong the smoke to some extent. I just smoked a Fette Sau dry rubbed PR today and started by preheating the smoker to about 280 for about 40 minutes to get the smoke going really well before adding the PR. I then lowered the CS setting to 200 and probed the PR roast for 130. This was a small 3 lbs roast and took two hour and fifteen minutes to get to the internal temp of 130. I then removed and tented with foil as the temp rose to 135. I then double foiled tightly and let it cool a bit more before putting in fridge. That is because I want to slice it thin for cold sandwiches with horseradish.
Last edited by tnq
Wow. Now that's good sandwich meat.

The good cooks above have a point concerning the thickness of the PR. Adjust accordingly. If they are close in thickness, you can start them all together. You may be starting them early. The big one might take 3.5-4 hrs. The smaller one will probably finish sooner, but not significantly if similar in thickness. Plan on them getting done earlier than you need and FTC.
Last edited by pags

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.