Skip to main content

I have 14 bone-in ibp butts that I am going to inject/rub and then smoke in my fec120 and was wondering about temp/time guidelines so I can time this right. Usually I do butts hot and fast at around 325, which involves wrapping about half way through the process, competition style. For this load I just want to load up the 14 butts, stick it in at 250 and in the morning have it ready without foiling, mopping, etc.

This is for a big tailgate party so I timing is important. I can have them finish a little early and stuff them in some cambros, but having them cook late would be a problem.

I can start cooking at any time on Saturday. I am out the door at 7am on Sunday. I figure I can hold them for up to 6 hours in the cambro when they finish before shredding them. I figure I have an ideal window of 4am-6am Sunday to work with, leaving me another hour to 7am if needed.

Any suggestion on when I need to load these in to get to that timeline?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by MaxQ:
How much do the PB's weigh? My experience with IBP butts is an average of about 9 lbs. If so, you're looking at about 11 hrs +/-

Yeah that is about the avg weight. I am thinking I am going to put them in at 4pm, and look to be done around 3-4am. If it is at 3am I may just set the oven at 145 and keep them there for an hour or 2, then into the cambro.
I've got a Chiefs party with the same timing. I roll out at 7am to serve at 10:30am.

I have found it best to clean and sanitize a cooler large enough to hold all the butts. I set up for a 12 hour cook on my FEC-100 at 270 degrees. I load the butts into a cold smoker set for 270 cook temp and hit play at 7pm.

Next morning I pull the full racks of butts from the smoker and dump into the cooler. They practically pull themselves and will stay too hot to touch for 8+hours.

I hit them quick in the cooler with a Roman Pork Puller on my drill. Serve only what's needed as it's needed.

Then just sit back to listen to the compliments!

I've got a stack of Cambros. Love them for ribs, brisket, beans and cold salads! I have found nothing better than a standard cooler for the pulled pork!

Best of luck.
quote:
Originally posted by KCBBQTruck:
I've got a Chiefs party with the same timing. I roll out at 7am to serve at 10:30am.

I have found it best to clean and sanitize a cooler large enough to hold all the butts. I set up for a 12 hour cook on my FEC-100 at 270 degrees. I load the butts into a cold smoker set for 270 cook temp and hit play at 7pm.

Next morning I pull the full racks of butts from the smoker and dump into the cooler. They practically pull themselves and will stay too hot to touch for 8+hours.

I hit them quick in the cooler with a Roman Pork Puller on my drill. Serve only what's needed as it's needed.

Then just sit back to listen to the compliments!

I've got a stack of Cambros. Love them for ribs, brisket, beans and cold salads! I have found nothing better than a standard cooler for the pulled pork!

Best of luck.

Now this was the exact answer I was looking for. This is exactly what I did, thanks!

IT turned out great, but in the future I would probably drop the temp to 260, my butts were prolly 5-10 degrees above what they ideally needed to be. It was probably the difference between the 100 and the 120 with convection. Also, I did use the cambro as that was what I had.

For those who come across this thread looking for exactly what I did, I took the 12 butts avg 9lbs out of the firidge for about an hour and then put into a cold smoker and set for 270 at 4:30pm. I pulled them out 12 hours later at 4:30am and put them right into the cambro. I surved the pork from 10:30am to 12pm and they were still steaming hot.
Glad to hear of your success and support! Thank You.

Oddly, I just had this conversation with Fast Eddy yesterday. With the convection in the FEC-120 you will need to cook about 20 degrees cooler. In my electric Cookshack (SM-150) that temp goes down another 20 to about 210 degrees.

I've got 3 cases of butts and 2 cases of whole briskets (about 400# total) stuffed into the FEC-500 tonight. Set at 230 degrees. Pushed play at 6pm for a 12 hour cook to start pulling meat off at 7:30 am tomorrow. 1000 sandwiches out the window in 2.5 hours for lunch.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.