Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

IMO, the only difference between "smoked corned beef" and pastrami is the steaming step at the end for pastrami. (And maybe the spice rub to start.) Based on my experience, without the steaming the "smoked corned beef" will be tough and a bit too internally salty or seasoned, if you use a commercial corned beef.

Of course, it all depends on how and for how long you smoke the corned beef. Since I've always been aiming for pastrami I only smoke it (225 degrees) until IT of around 165. Then (same or next day) steam it to 200 - 210 and serve hot, or refrigerate, slice thin, and serve cold on sandwiches.

If you continued the smoke on corned beef, say, until IT of 200 - 205 like brisket, I don't know what you'd end up with flavor or texture wise, but for myself, I'm not tempted to try it. If you do, please report back. Good luck!

This past summer I bought a brisket flat, cured it myself using a dry cure and smoked it just like I would any other brisket.  Smoked at 225 deg. until I hit ~175 deg. internal temp, wrapped it in butcher paper and continued cooking at 225 deg. until I hit ~195 deg. internal temp.  Wrapped it in some blankets in a cooler and let it nap for a few hours.  Had a phenomenal end result.  It was good on its own as a "smoked corned beef" like you are saying, but it was also awesome on some rye bread drowned in kraut.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.