Skip to main content

Hi all! Yup, still alive and have recently settled in beautiful Rock Hill, SC...just south of Charlotte. Hope everyone's doing well these days.

I've been out of the BBQ game for quite some time and now looking to hook up with one of the above club stores. Who's having good luck with packers, PB's and ribs?

The closest store is Sam's (15 minutes) I wandered in last week for a peek at the cold cases and wasn't overly impressed. That said, it was right after 4th of July.

Thanks for the replies.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Max,
Was at Sam's last week for PB's. Wasn't impressed. They had cases weighing 55 lbs with single sealed butts....very small price was $1.49 a lb. My local butcher sold me 2 cases of double packed butts (each weighing 70 lbs) for $1.19 a pound. Local stores out did Sam's with packers, too. Sam's was $3.02 a lb and local was $2.29 with packers that had nice white fat caps. Ribs are the one thing I can't get at a good price locally so I get them at Sam's by the case (babybacks)...I'm trying to buy more locally. Meat comes from IBP...Sams in Sioux Falls, SD gets Smithfield, National Beef...whoever is the cheapest for the week.
I like BJs LB ribs, in the two-pack. Very tasty and meaty. I've only had one of their PBs, but it was quite good. My local BJs doesn't sell packers, but their larger, thicker flats are pretty good.

The only meats I buy at Costco are lamb racks and pork tenderloins, not for the smoker. Their prime steaks are really good but $$$.

Good to have you back on the forum, Max.
What a coincidence Max. I am heading to South Carolina tomorrow to attend my son's graduation from Boot Camp. He is at Fort Jackson.

I love CostCo meat. It's superior to our grocery stores. I do have a butcher I occasionally use, but they are a little further then I like to go. I really like their PB's and 3 pack of ribs. The last PB I purchased was a 2 pack for 1.24 pd.

Glad to see you back!
Hey, welcome back! Around me, Sam's doesn't carry packers, only flats, but Wally World has packers. Costco only carries boneless butts, but does have prime packers, although they just raised prices to $3.89/lb. No thanks. And their ribs are injected.

No BJ's here. Around here, I prefer the meat from Sam's, or I'll hit RD every now & then.
Hey MaxQ,
Welcome to SC.......I live in Fort Mill!
Moved from PA 10 years ago. The R.H. Sam's is probably the worst Sam's club i have been in.
I go to the Pineville,NC store. Much cleaner and better meat selection.
In my opinion you can't beat their babybacks. Come wrapped in 3-packs. Very meaty!
Angus briskets are good also. As far as the butts....I just watch for the Harris Teeter, BILO, or Food Lion to go on sale. Usually $.99 LB.
Enjoy all the traffic.........LOL
quote:
Originally posted by Hoggiestyle:
Hey MaxQ,
Welcome to SC.......I live in Fort Mill!
Moved from PA 10 years ago. The R.H. Sam's is probably the worst Sam's club i have been in.
I go to the Pineville,NC store. Much cleaner and better meat selection.
In my opinion you can't beat their babybacks. Come wrapped in 3-packs. Very meaty!
Angus briskets are good also. As far as the butts....I just watch for the Harris Teeter, BILO, or Food Lion to go on sale. Usually $.99 LB.
Enjoy all the traffic.........LOL

I'll keep an eye on those stores and perhaps take a ride to Pineville. Sure wish there was a HEB store like the one I found off the Katy Freeway in Houston a few years back...Good Googly Woogly!
The traffic around Rock Hill and even on I77-I485 hasn't been too bad. I haven't been uptown yet and I hear the north side of town is the worst.

Great to see everyone!!!! Thanks for the replies.
@maxq posted:
Hi all! Yup, still alive and have recently settled in beautiful Rock Hill, SC...just south of Charlotte. Hope everyone's doing well these days.

I've been out of the BBQ game for quite some time and now looking to hook up with one of the above club stores. Who's having good luck with packers, PB's and ribs?

The closest store is Sam's (15 minutes) I wandered in last week for a peek at the cold cases and wasn't overly impressed. That said, it was right after 4th of July.

Thanks for the replies.

I had the same problem, thanks for the answers

HERE IN San Diego, Sam’s is iffy for brisket. On occasion they will have a few primes. One time the meat cutter let me go through a new case and pick out the two I wanted for a big party, but I wouldn’t want to rely on that.

Our Costco has prime packer briskets about 90 % of the time. They run from large to huge. A brisket is a weird piece of meat, and you have to look for the one you like. You will need to modify your cooking approach just a bit every time, but hey, that’s BBQ, right?

What saves it is the fact that you can pull your brisket out of the smoker when it’s done, wrap it in foil and old towels and stick it in a cooler for three or four hours, and it just gets better. I’ve never had one fall below 160 in the FTC. So by the time the hungry guests show up, the cooker is tidy, the counters are washed, the beer is cold, and you’re ready for the best moment in Q — pulling that barky fat boy out of the cooler and slicing it to the amazement of the gathered crowd. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.